Telestream Community Forum
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How do I remove this is a demonstration of flip4mac?
Topic Summary: It's a little obtrusive
Created On: 10/19/2011 10:39 AM
Status Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next >> Last unread
Topic Tools Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/19/2011 10:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
webmaestro

How do I remove this is a demonstration of flip4mac in iMovie?

I read that registering the software doesn't get rid of it.

FMV 2.4.0.11, Mac OS X 10.6.8...

This is even happening when I'm not using WMV files. What gives?
 10/19/2011 7:07 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

If you import WMV into iMovie you will get the watermark because importing WMVs for editing is a feature of Player Pro.
It can only affect WMV. It can't watermark anything else. It's not capable of doing that.

Please read READ BEFORE POSTING near the top of this forum and post more details.

-------------------------
CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
 10/19/2011 8:35 PM

Author Icon
webmaestro

As I look at this file, I think it was imported some years ago.

If I register the Flip4WMV software, will that remove the sound from the clip?

If not, then the clip is degraded from the sound byte 'This is a demonstration of flip4mac'.
 10/20/2011 7:32 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Flip4Mac Player Pro $29 would remove the watermark and allow you to use WMV as a source or rewrap or re-encode WMV to a .mov codec.

Player Pro
http://www.telestream.net/flip...wmv/wmv-player-pro.htm
Features compared
http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/features.htm

CraigS
 9/14/2012 1:14 PM

Author Icon
aybara

I wanna know how to remove it for just watching WMV files. I don't use the encoders or anything else. I just use the components for Quicktime to watch WMV files via Quicktime, and it repeats throughout playback.
 9/14/2012 4:04 PM

Author Icon
mactrix

aybara,

the watermark will be not present in Flip Player. There is currently a bug in the PUBLIC BETA 2 that shows the watermark also in Flip Player but we will have this solved with the final 3.0 release, hopefully next week.
 9/15/2012 4:22 AM

Author Icon
aybara

So the "This is a blah blah blah Flip4Mac" isn't supposed to repeat every few seconds when viewing a downloaded WMV file?
 9/18/2012 5:33 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

If you're just playing a WMV in Flip Player, no but in order to be sure about your issue, you need to post complete details including OS version.

CraigS
 9/25/2012 4:55 AM

Author Icon
olafmarzocchi

I get the same by just opening WMV files in Quicklook: watermark and voice. I just reinstalled OS X from scratch and I see again the watermark, I suppose I will hear the voice soon as well (not experienced yet).
I understand the will to lock softwares that have editing capabilities, but putting the watermark and the "This is a blah blah blah Flip4Mac" on legit players (-> quicklook) is also ridiculous. If Flip Player can disable it (or if the plugin can detect Flip Player and skip the messages), so should happen with Quicklook. A watermark annoys but could be even tolerated in Quicklook, but not the voice.
 9/25/2012 4:57 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Please confirm that you are using Flip4Mac/FlipPlayer 3.0.0.126.
Test the file in Quicktime X and tell me what you see.
Please post the exact version of OSX you are using, 10.7.5 or 10.8.2?

CraigS
 10/2/2012 4:39 PM

Author Icon
mactrix

Flip Player disables the watermark in WMV and WMA files because we have full licensing control for both decoding and conversion. QuickTime Player X and QuickLook run in sandbox restricted environments and do not provide us the same level of control. We will be able to fix this in the upcoming 3.1 update if the user upgraded to Player Pro or higher.

In general we can not remove watermarks in converted files, e.g. if WMV files have been saved or converted to MOV, e.g. in iMovie projects. Please upgrade to Player Pro and convert the original WMV/WMA source file again.
 10/7/2012 5:07 AM

Author Icon
mouras

I get this very annoying message "This is a demonstration of flip4mac" while I hear radio station with snowtape on a iMac with OSX 10.8.2. I had no such problems with the previous versions of flip4mac.
Is there a way to eliminate this?
I'm absolutely not going to spend 29$ (!) on flip4mac so either you resolve this or I delete your soft from my iMac.
 10/8/2012 5:00 AM

Author Icon
williamwm

We have exactly the same issue.

Mac OS X 10.7.5
Flip4Mac 3.0.0.126

When opening WMA-files in Quicktime Player, the "This is a demonstration"-message is repeating and then the soundfile shuts down.

When opening files in Flip Player, no such issue. But huge problems with navigating in the file, since you can't start playing WMA-files from specific times. This is a huge issue when transcribing hours of interviews.
 10/8/2012 2:26 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

If you're playing a WMV you'd have to use Flip4Mac components or player. Quicktime does not support WMV otherwise.
Please read the answer mactrix posted regarding the watermark issue. Please note the limitations of Quicktime which are controlled by Apple, not us.

CraigS
 10/9/2012 1:09 PM

Author Icon
olafmarzocchi

Originally posted by: CraigS
If you're playing a WMV you'd have to use Flip4Mac components or player. Quicktime does not support WMV otherwise.
Please read the answer mactrix posted regarding the watermark issue. Please note the limitations of Quicktime which are controlled by Apple, not us.

I understand your position: you have to block people from using the plugin to convert movies for free, but this implies you have to run in standard mode under Quicklook.
Still, that makes the plugin useless for many people. Maybe changing the protection scheme? leave the watermark, remove the limitations on the audio.
 10/9/2012 4:50 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Please read the post from mactrix. Also note the comments about Apple's Sandboxing.

CraigS
 10/10/2012 3:17 PM

Author Icon
olafmarzocchi

He wrote that in sandbox (->quicklook) you have no control and I understood that you revert to a default watermarking and audio message. I was suggesting that the standard mode should not include the audio message because it is too invasive. I don't think the two posts are incompatible.
 10/10/2012 4:09 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

The audio watermark may be there since WMA is also a consideration.
Fill out the form and comment on the watermarking.
http://www.telestream.net/tele...mv/contact-support.htm

CraigS
 10/31/2012 10:13 PM

Author Icon
nickrobots

So, just to confirm:
In QuickTime Player 10 on Mountain Lion, it is not possible to remove the watermark and voiceover when viewing WMVs unless you pay for an upgraded version of Flip4Mac.

If that IS NOT the case, please inform how one can view WMVs in QuickTime without the voiceover and watermark.

If that IS the case, is it a bug that will be fixed soon, or is it a new feature intended to encourage more people to upgrade and/or use the Flip Player?
 11/1/2012 1:54 PM

Author Icon
pele98109

Happy to have found this string because I recently "upgraded" to Flip4Mac 3.0 and now will be looking to downgrade, specifically because of this damn watermark, for which there was no advance advisory. I am dealing with transcripts that now have this annoying ad superimposed on them at too-frequent intervals. Actually one is too frequent, especially given the lack of warning! I don't buy that Apple is to blame because it never occurred with WMA files using the older version of Flip4Mac. Eager to see if someone in the know can reply directly to nickrobots' question because it is mine as well.
 11/1/2012 4:51 PM

Author Icon
pele98109

p.s. Since posting above, I have discovered that the "demo" ad apparently has superimposed itself in every WMA recording in my audio library. They are audible on the recordings I have checked, made before I upgraded to 3.0. My guess is they have infected hundreds of hours of recorded interviews I've done with an Olympus digital recorder, recording in WMA mode. I have to record in that mode because it's the only option, using the "Sonority" software that comes bundled with the Olympus unit, that allows me to make visual markers to highlight certain points during interviews. Needless to say, it is quite aggravating to hear these ads. For me, the recordings do not shut down, or haven't yet! In the spirit of full disclosure, about the same time I upgraded to Flip4Mac 3.0 I also upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion. Not sure what difference, if any, that makes. I resent having to fork out $30 to clear this up, assuming an upgrade will even wipe out the annoying ads.
 11/2/2012 12:21 PM

Author Icon
pele98109

Successfully downgraded to earlier version to remove watermark from WMA's. Shame on Telestream for deceptive business practices with 3.0 release.
 11/2/2012 12:52 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

nickrobots, we are working on the watermark issue. The reason we created our own player is that Apple is making changes outside of our control which is impacting the use of Quicktime Components such as Flip4Mac.

pele98109 if you are on Lion or Mountain Lion, for compatibility reasons, you should be using 3.0.
See my comment just above. There's nothing "deceptive" about 3.0. Apple is making changes which impact us. We are addressing the watermark issue but please understand that due to changes by Apple, we've had to make changes on our end. This is, in part, the reason why we've created our own player. You do not need to buy anything to play WMV/WMA.

CraigS
 11/13/2012 1:24 PM

Author Icon
conspirasseur

I paid $9 for this new "problem"??!!!
I do NOT want to here "this is a demonstration of flip4mac" every minute.
How do I get rid of this simply and immediately?
Not warning users this would happen is BS of a stupid corporate level.
I have 10.8.2 and Flip4Mac Pro (Demo!?) version 3.0.0.126
Paid for. anything paid for should not have an issue dealing with the word demo.
Is that much clear?
 11/13/2012 3:33 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Please so above post.

CraigS
 1/5/2013 4:18 PM

Author Icon
sonnygentry

OX 10.7.5, Flip 3.0.0.126 I get the annoying "demonstration" message when streaming a radio station. I am using the free version of Flip4Mac. I have seen no definitive solution on how to eliminate the message, which renders Flip4Mac unusable. Can anyone give a clear and simple account of what causes it and how to remove it? Sincere thanks.
 1/7/2013 10:50 PM

Author Icon
mactrix

You can use the free version of Flip Player to play WMV and WMA files without any watermark (demonstration audio message or visual logo watermark).

The free Flip4Mac web browser plugin also plays streams without any watermark (demonstration audio message or visual logo watermark). Please try Firefox if you encounter watermark issues with Safari.

You need the $29 Player Pro upgrade ($9 for existing version 1 and 2 customers) to remove any watermark (demonstration audio message or visual logo watermark) in Quick Look and QuickTime Player 7. This also applies to other non-sandboxed applications but also apps such as iMovie, Keynote or Powerpoint.

Please note that the watermark can re-appear in a sandboxed QuickLook version of a possible future system update. We don't expect this for any 10.8 update but can't foresee the future of Apple operating system updates.

Please note that you will also get the demonstration message in QuickTime Player 10 after upgrading to Player Pro. We understand you would like to continue using QuickTime Player 10 without any watermark but this limitation is out of our control. This is why we introduced Flip Player.
 1/17/2013 10:42 PM

Author Icon
sonnygentry

OS 10.7.5, Flip 3.0.0.143 Safari 6.0.2 The "demonstration" message continues. It appears and disappears mysteriously. I find that if I hit the play and pause icons alternately (slowly) several times, sometimes it will stop. Also, if I open Flip manually and paste the URL (of streaming audio) in the appropriate field (File>Open Stream), the "demonstration" message most often does not occur. Is it being suggested here that Apple inserted that annoying "demonstration" message? Does it originate in Apple software? A definitive solution seems quite elusive. Thanks in advance for your help.
 1/17/2013 11:32 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Apple is changing the way QuickTime functions with third party components including Flip4Mac. We can't change the way Quicktime functions of course. This is a reason why we're created our own player.
Can you post an example link where you're seeing this?

CraigS
 3/9/2013 9:59 PM

Author Icon
koosher

Okay... having read all this nonsense... Can someone post a link to a version of the player that does not give the demonstration message? (Or does such a beast not exist?)

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.