MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016

Telestream Community Forum
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Wirecast RTSP h.264 as an input source
Topic Summary:
Created On: 9/13/2011 7:40 PM
Status Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 9/13/2011 7:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
benjaminhigginb..

This was brought up a while ago in the forum, but now that Wirecast 4.1.1 is out I thought maybe the answer could change. I see that I can add a generic IP camera, which I believe is just an h.264 RTSP stream. I was wondering if I could add *any* h.264 RTSP stream as an input in to Wirecast rather than having to do a desktop capture?

-------------------------
Benjamin Higginbotham
benjamin@spacevidcast.com
http://www.spacevidcast.com
 9/14/2011 1:35 AM

Author Icon
CraigS

On the Windows side it was discovered that VBrick Virtual Capture Card can see MPEG2-TS and Wirecast sees it as an input device.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBNTFUrWC2Q
So in theory there may be an equivalent that can cause Wirecast to see H264 RTSP as a "virtual IP camera."

CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
 9/27/2011 7:18 PM

Author Icon
ckarpovich

Has anyone had success adding generic IP cameras into Wirecast? I'm investigating an iPhone app called livu - http://stevemcfarlin.com/livu/index.html in conjunction with a Wowza Media server to try and get an H264 rtsp stream back into Wirecast.

Craig - Do you know what container/protocol Wirecast is expecting for the rtsp stream? Can Wirecast import/support any type of rtsp H264/aac stream?
 9/27/2011 7:36 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

I know on the Wirecast Windows side people have reported that WebcamXP will bring in various IP cameras into Wirecast.
http://www.webcamxp.com/home.aspx

You might want to ask support directly but I can't guarantee you what they're willing to reveal.
You might also point out LivU (not to be confused with LiveU which Wirecast Pro does support) and ask that the developers consider supporting it.
http://www.telestream.net/tele...st/contact-support.htm

CraigS
 9/27/2011 7:49 PM

Author Icon
SteveMcFarlin

The problem seems to be Wirecast is looking for something particular. The Wowza logs show:

(Debug output)

uri: DESCRIBE rtsp://192.168.1.50/rtplive/livu/img/media.sav RTSP/1.0
method: DESCRIBE
context: rtsp://192.168.1.50/rtplive/livu/img/media.sav
protocol: RTSP/1.0
accept: application/sdp
cseq: 1

The problem is Wirecast is appending the /img/media.sav for the Generic IP Camera stream. That stream does not exist. With that in mind I tried setting the application and stream name of the published stream to: /rtplive/livu/img/media.sav. This solves the issue.

So in my Livu app the App field would be /rtplive/livu/img/media.sav and in Wirecast it would be <ip address>/rtplive/livu

The demo I am using may be clamped to 320x240. It would be nice for custom sizes. Also Wirecast does not like the Baseline 3.0 stream. VLC is rendering it fine (Video only). I will check bit rates, and also try Basline 3.1 and the Main profiles to see if it makes any difference. BTW. The upstream in this test was using RTP over RTSP/TCP. Wirecast was running on the same box as the Wowza Media Server. This rules out UDP packet loss as the source of corrupt frames.

9/27/2011 8:13 PM

Author Icon
SteveMcFarlin

On further inspection it is apparent there is no buffering of any data at all. I imagine this may be by design. The latency is extreamly low. This could be the issue. It looks like it has problems with the P frames. Static scenes are fine. It is only during camera motion there is an issue. This might be able to be solved on the wowza end of this by enabling packet sorting and increasing the jitter buffer size. I will look into when I get more time.

I also tested with Audio which is an AAC LC stream. It crashed Wirecast.
 9/27/2011 8:56 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Interesting test results, Steve. Thanks for that. Can you fill out the form I posted earlier today and include a link to the forum thread so you don't need to retype the results of your test.
Maybe the developers can have a look and might work with you on improving compatibility.

CraigS
 9/27/2011 9:16 PM

Author Icon
SteveMcFarlin

Hello Craig -

I will do that. I need to do some further testing. Doing a test with a bit stream consisting of all I frames shows jitter issues. I assume Wirecast is streaming from the server using UDP. I guess it is possible that RTP packets are arriving out of order (bother server and Wirecast are on the same machine, so this is unlikely). Decoding the P frames (or missing a few) would certainly cause the stream corruption that I am seeing. I will do some more testing on the Wowza size before I start any contact with engineers. Maybe this can be resolved that way. If I can not resolve it I will put together a few bit streams in a MP4 container for them to look at. It is possible that 264 bit stream is not being decoded by your decoder properly. Keep in mind this is generated by the iPhone 4 hardware encoder.

Edit - I did get the audio AAC stream to semi-work. It was heavily corrupted, but I am going to assume at this point it is an issue with my Wirecast configuration.
 9/27/2011 10:05 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Do you have access to a Teradek Cube or maybe an IP camera officially supported in Wirecast?
http://www.telestream.net/wire-cast/features.htm
Support for selected wireless IP cameras (AXIS 211 W, Sony SNC-RZ50, and Cisco WVC80N, AXIS P1344 and AXIS M1104)
Integration with Teradek Cube allowing users to submit camera feeds directly over your local network to Wirecast.
This might give you a known working model to compare to.

CraigS
 9/28/2011 4:44 PM

Author Icon
SteveMcFarlin

The issue with the P frames being corrupt is isolated to my local machine. Using Wowza on an Amazon EC2 instance is fine. The only thing left is the Audio. I see there is an option for audio, but I could not find the reference to what format it is expecting. The stream in this case is AAC LC 64kbps Mono. When enabling audio all that is heard is static.

Also, the Generic IP cam uses the same settings as the Linksys. e.g.

Linksys - uri: DESCRIBE rtsp://192.168.1.50/rtplive/livu/img/media.sav RTSP/1.0

Generic - uri: DESCRIBE rtsp://192.168.1.50/rtplive/livu/img/media.sav RTSP/1.0

Might be worth removing the /img/media.sav from the generic IP cam. This would potentially allow Wirecast to source any RTSP stream.

9/28/2011 7:41 PM

Author Icon
ckarpovich

With Steve's help, I got this to work for me as well!! We still cannot get the audio to come through, so any additional info on the audio format that Wirecast is expecting from an IP camera would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Steve, this is going to be an exciting low cost solution to adding extra cameras to Wirecast!
 9/29/2011 1:35 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Support seems to be aware of this thread. If you've submitted the form to support follow up with the email they sent you with case number and see if they'll get you the detail.
If Steve fills out a form they may communicate with him directly.

CraigS
 9/29/2011 5:30 PM

Author Icon
ckarpovich

According to support, the audio issues associated with the IP cameras will be addressed "in the next update to Wirecast which is right around the corner".

With the addition of audio and a few tweaks to the handling of incoming streams Wirecast could be setup to source streams from many locations! Wowza, QTSS, Live555, etc.
 9/29/2011 6:45 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

The IP camera audio improvement will be an important step forward.

CraigS
 10/10/2011 7:18 PM

Author Icon
spark

Sorry for thread resurrection, but just wanted to give you all a heads up that using the guidance in this thread (many thanks Steve!) I was able to use VLC to relay a rtsp feed from an outside server (in this case, some random webcam in brazil, just a proof of concept!) to Wirecast.

The "rtplive/livu/img/media.sav" did the trick perfectly. Sound is definitely not working properly though, and I am going to do some further testing of this for stability and image quality but it is very intriguing. I currently don't use Pro (standard +HDV) but if I could bring in a whole bunch of RTMP feeds and mix them in Wirecast that would be a very, very strong incentive for me to upgrade. Of course if Wirecast didn't look for img/media.sav the VLC relay wouldn't be necessary...
 10/10/2011 7:24 PM

Author Icon
spark

One other thing: I'd echo Steve's question/comment about the 320x240 source...it seems that there's no way to change the resolution of the IP camera source? Am I missing something? (Using the demo of Pro right now, tho I do have a valid license for Wirecast.)
 10/10/2011 7:48 PM

Author Icon
benjaminhigginb..

Craig, do you know if the upcoming version of Wirecast will simply fix the audio issue, or will it allow any generic RTSP source from say Wowza without the URI hack?

Benjamin Higginbotham
 10/10/2011 7:55 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

spark, Do you mind posting the IP address so maybe we can test using the same source. Sometimes having a common reference point can help.

Please submit form to ask for control of frame size.

benjaminhigginbotham, just the audio officially but there is some discussion about . . .

CraigS
 10/11/2011 9:09 AM

Author Icon
spark

The one i was using before stopped broadcasting. I'm now using this: rtsp://streaming.swamiji.tv/YogaIP-TV (yes, it's ridiculous!)

The good news is that I didn't notice that I was transcoding at 320x240 in VLC while relaying the stream (oops!), when I stopped doing that Wirecast detected the new resolution. Sorry about that!

But I am starting to see that VLC is not that good at pulling down the stream. When I watch it in a flash viewer online there's no skipping or audio issues, and VLC seems to introduce some. It's a challenge for me to determine where the problems are being created. More broadly I think I'm reaching the limits of my own understanding of the tech. If there is another more reliable piece of software to ingest and rebroadcast the rtsp feed with a URI that Wirecast will like, I'd all ears, but I'm not sure what more I can do here...
 10/11/2011 11:46 AM

Author Icon
CraigS

Thanks for the update and a stream the readers of this thread can play with (for the time being). Do send in the support form linked to this forum thread because it may be taken under consideration as a feature. That you can get it to work through VLC to Wirecast may point towards how the feature might work.

CraigS
 10/13/2011 7:19 AM

Author Icon
spark

OK, will do! Thanks.
 10/13/2011 9:16 AM

Author Icon
CraigS

You're welcome of course.

SteveMcFarlin, would you be willing to write this up as a tutorial (step by step) or maybe do a screencapture as a video walk through? It might help some of the less "geek inclined" understand and utilize this, even with its current issues.

CraigS
 10/17/2011 8:03 PM

Author Icon
benjaminhigginb..

Ok, maybe I'm crazy but I can't seem to get this to work. I have my h.264 IP camera coming in and I can watch it in VLC. I turn on streaming and send that to an RTSP destination of /rtplive/livu/img/media.sav. Then I open a new VLC window and open the network connection rtsp://127.0.0.1/rtplive/livu/img/media.sav and everything plays. WOO HOO! I should mention that I switch this out to be on port 554 as opposed to VLC wanting to stream on 5544.

Now I go to Wirecast Pro and add a new IP Camera. Select default. I have tried entering in 127.0.0.1, rtsp://127.0.0.1, rtsp://127.0.0.1:554, 127.0.0.1:554, rtsp://127.0.0.1/rtplive/livu/img/media.sav, 127.0.0.1/rtplive/livu/img/media.sav, 127.0.0.1:554/rtplive/livu/img/media.sav and rtsp://127.0.0.1:554/rtplive/livu/img/media.sav with no luck. I keep getting a 'Camera Not Connected' error message.

Am I borking up the streaming on VLCs side, or the incoming URI on Wirecast's side? I'm sure it is something simple. HELP!

Thanks,

Benjamin

Benjamin Higginbotham
 10/18/2011 3:06 AM

Author Icon
SteveMcFarlin

One other thing: I'd echo Steve's question/comment about the 320x240 source...it seems that there's no way to change the resolution of the IP camera source? Am I missing something? (Using the demo of Pro right now, tho I do have a valid license for Wirecast.)

Just as a note this information can be pulled from the picture parameter set (PPS NALU) from either a packet or from a SDP file's sprop-parameter-sets. There is really no reason to have to specify it. ISO/IEC 14496-10 Section 7.3.2.1

Edited: 10/18/2011 at 3:43 AM by SteveMcFarlin
 10/18/2011 3:07 AM

Author Icon
SteveMcFarlin

I can give you a few sources as well if you email me directly. I can setup a number of different static streams as well as live streams.

Edited: 10/18/2011 at 3:13 AM by SteveMcFarlin
 10/18/2011 3:10 AM

Author Icon
SteveMcFarlin

SteveMcFarlin, would you be willing to write this up as a tutorial (step by step) or maybe do a screencapture as a video walk through? It might help some of the less "geek inclined" understand and utilize this, even with its current issues.

What specifically did you want. Just to use live webcams without audio?
 10/18/2011 11:46 AM

Author Icon
CraigS

It might be good to create a video tutorial. You can use ScreenFlow even if it's in demo mode.

CraigS
 10/31/2012 1:42 PM

Author Icon
vanevery

Following some of Steve's advice given above, I was able to get a live encode with FMLE to Wowza to Wirecast as a Generic IP camera.

http://www.walking-productions...h-264-stream-in-wowza/

Next up is the Axis Q1755. Anyone have any luck with that camera?
 10/31/2012 5:58 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Thanks for that. Very interesting.

I take it you're attempting the Axis Q1755
Let the developers know you're interested in that camera and explain why that one specifically.

CraigS

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016