MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016

Telestream Community Forum
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Audio out of sync
Topic Summary: Audio out of sync
Created On: 7/20/2011 7:57 PM
Status Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 7/20/2011 7:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
erikstripparo

Dear Team,

We use wirestream 4 for live events in our company. For some reason I still find difficoult to understand the audio is out of sync during stream and recordings. We use a Macbook Pro new generation and we have 10 Mbits in upload.
It is very difficoult to deal with this delay. I see you offer an option called syncdelay for an extra 500 $ dollars in the pro version. Wouldn'it make sense to offer a software that syncs in the first place? Or am I missing something?
Looking forward to your reply,

Cheers,
Erik
 7/20/2011 7:59 PM

Author Icon
erikstripparo

P.S Macbook Pro
Osx 10.6.8
xdcam in dv mode
 7/20/2011 9:32 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

DV doesn't have sync issue. HDV can though. Please describe your complete setup.

-------------------------
CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
 7/21/2011 7:18 AM

Author Icon
hifistud

HDV Does... which makes the money I spent on the HDV add-in a complete waste - if Telestream is aware of this, then they should give the audio delay ability alongside the plug-in, the same as what the Pro upgrade has. It's very annoying - there's roughly 1.5 seconds delay on the video ingest - and absolutely none on a DV ingest from the same camera.

See Wirecast in use LIVE every night Sun to Thurs at 9pm UK time at www.vapourtrails.tv
 7/21/2011 1:05 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Many people use HDV cameras as video only sources. The HDV plugin is an option in the standard edition. In the Pro edition both HDV and sync delay are included. The delay though is generally under 1 second. There are many users doing this and we can verify as well.

CraigS
 7/21/2011 7:40 PM

Author Icon
hifistud

Well quite - if you're using HDV as a video-ony source, and Telestream is aware that there's a synch delay between HDV video and direct-mic sound, then, surely, the HDV pluggin/upgrade should take account of this and give you the tools to get the synch right again? Or are you referring to HDV recorded video as opposed to "live"...

See Wirecast in use LIVE every night Sun to Thurs at 9pm UK time at www.vapourtrails.tv
 7/21/2011 9:48 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

HDV, because it's a GOP based codec, takes longer to decode than the audio, hence the sync delay. If one needs control over both with critical sync that would be Pro which includes HDV and sync delay. Wirecast Pro is the choice if you want both. HDV is optional for Wirecast standard users. Keep in mind that most people are not streaming HD and nearly all HDV cameras work in DV mode.

CraigS
 7/22/2011 5:05 AM

Author Icon
hifistud

You're missing my point. If you've opted for the HDV pluggin, and the coders and purveyors are aware that synch issues are a given, then the pluggin should include a method of getting synch sorted - and it doesn't. It's $99 dollars wasted - I mean, it's pretty obvious that you'll want to synch a voice with the picture, isn't it?

7/22/2011 9:36 AM

Author Icon
CraigS

The plugin is important to those who need to use HDV camera. Many people use the camera video and a different source for audio. If they want the sync delay feature that's in Wirecast Pro, which includes HDV support built in.

CraigS
 7/22/2011 3:07 PM

Author Icon
hifistud

You can't seriously believe what you've typed, Craig. Naturally, I wanted HDV video, and an external mic source. Not surprisingly, I would like the two to synch. And my assumption would be - given that nothing tells you any different - that the HDV plugin would allow me to do exactly that. And it doesn't. There's nothing else in Pro - other than the individual audio controls - that I'd want. And guess what - those indicidual audio controls give me the synch that the HDV plugin ought to. What a crock.

7/22/2011 6:02 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Please fill out the form and request sync control be included with the purchase of HDV plugin.
http://www.telestream.net/tele...st/contact-support.htm

CraigS
 7/22/2011 6:14 PM

Author Icon
hifistud

Done...

7/22/2011 6:50 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

When they send you a confirmation email with case number, feel free to follow up with questions about the plugin and sync issues.

CraigS
 7/23/2011 5:33 AM

Author Icon
hifistud

They basically offered me a refund - again, missing the point.

7/25/2011 11:00 AM

Author Icon
CraigS

Sync delay is specifically for Wirecast 4 Pro. HDV support is optional in standard version because some people need the codec support without sync delay. If you want both the best option is Wirecast 4 Pro.

CraigS
 7/25/2011 8:27 PM

Author Icon
hifistud

The problem with Pro is it's burdened with stuff nobody really needs, in the way of the virtual studios. The sound inspector is nice - and I'd like it very much - but maybe as an add-in that doesn't drag the virtual sets with it. And it's a helluva hike for something that's pretty much a basic for broadcasting.

7/26/2011 2:36 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

I wouldn't say "nobody really needs" because those features were added in part because people requested them. When 4.1 Pro comes out shortly they'll be a few more important additions as well.

CraigS
 7/26/2011 6:38 PM

Author Icon
hifistud

As I say, though, control of the sound mix is a pretty basic requirement in any broadcast - scoreboards not so much - and virtual studios are not that hard to construct given the 35 layers you have to play with. I still think that including an HDV add-in that has no control over sound latency is a mistake, especially when all the documentation mentions the latency. I think purchasers have a right to expect that such things would be taken into account and provided for.
It's a bit like me turning up for a PA job and then mentioning that I expect the customer to bring his own microphones, or else pay twice the price to have me provide them.

7/26/2011 6:58 PM

Author Icon
dpoole

I had sync problems on a Mac (2x 2.66 dual core xeon, 4GB RAM). HDV camera, analog audio source: out of sync. Switched camera to DV and problem solved.
Is there also a sync problem when you take audio from the HDV camera?
If that's the case, then I agree the plugin should certainly include a way to adjust for delay.
 7/26/2011 7:19 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

HDV GOP based codec requires longer decode time than I-frame codec sources like DV. Hence audio can be ahead of video (decodes sooner) with HDV. Send in support link I posted on 7/22 and request that sync delay be included with purchase of plugin.

These days fewer people are using HDV cameras as they decline behind DV. Most cameras now being sold now use AVCHD or other codec and use HDMI out which is uncompressed rather than GOP based. Those HD cameras don't use the HDV plugin at all.

Virtual sets in Wirecast behave differently than user imported sets because Wirecast built in sets have zoom control so you can simulate a camera move.

CraigS
 7/26/2011 7:56 PM

Author Icon
erikstripparo

Sorry for disappearing after posting. We work with XDCAM which have HDV. Should we just post a link to support?
cheers,
Erik
 7/26/2011 9:33 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Sorry, I don't understand your post. XDCAM and HDV are two different codecs. HDV can be used on Firewire. There is no way to send XDCAM out of a camera live that I know of. XDCAM cameras use SDI or HDMI (or analog composite or component). There are XDCAM EX cameras that can use HDV instead though. In that case it's just another HDV camera. XDCAM doesn't come into play at all.

CraigS
 7/26/2011 11:16 PM

Author Icon
erikstripparo

Alright we use a sony xdcam ex HD that does have a firewire output annd the signal gets out after setting the machine to do that. we stream in flash HD bandwidth with it.... does it make sense?
 7/27/2011 11:50 AM

Author Icon
CraigS

If you're using HDV codec then it may be the same issue. Do send in the link to support so they can evaluate how to handle the HDV plugin.

CraigS
 12/1/2011 8:07 AM

Author Icon
Lava

Ill poste here since this is a post about sync dealay. I use a stereo tap to line in on most of my streams. Although i have wirecast pro, latest version the delay slider does not show up when I click "audio inspector". Where can I access this feature?

//Carl

Wirecast 5.03
Macbook Retina 2012 i7 16gb ram
Fasttrack pro duo soundcard
Blackmagic quad
Sonnet echo express thunderbolt chassis
3 x Canon camera
3 x blackmagic HD-sdi converter
 12/1/2011 7:46 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

You must add the audio source as a Live Input. It's not in the shot audio sliders.
http://www.telestream.net/vide...e&height=570&width=960

CraigS

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016