MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016

Telestream Community Forum
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: CPU tips?
Topic Summary: Can you give us some bullet points on CPU useage
Created On: 5/18/2016 6:52 PM
Status Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 5/18/2016 6:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Th

I'm new to Wirecast and am looking to get the best out the system for both live and recording. Im using Wirecast either on a MBP or on a 12 core Mac Pro. What might be very helpful is some general guidance on what chews up CPU. Does the number of shots make a difference? The number and type of sources? Obviously output resolution is key but with a number of people asking CPU related questions maybe some general guidance on streamlining our systems would be great. Thanks in advance!
 5/18/2016 9:42 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

There are many things that contribute to CPU use. What to change depends on your workflow and priorities.
Turning Off Live Icons in Wirecast Preferences can help but for some people this is too important.
Lower encoder frame size and bit rate can help but maybe that's too important to change.
Recording to ProRes is better than H.264 although recording using the same encoder as the stream also helps.
Using uncompressed HDMI or SDI sources may use less resources than other types of sources.
Using x264 instead of H.264 can help.
You really should explain what you want to do and then I can make suggestions on changing things less critical to your workflow.

-------------------------
CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
 5/20/2016 2:16 PM

Author Icon
Th

OK that's all very helpful. I'll work with all that and come back to you with specifics if I run into trouble.

5/20/2016 2:51 PM

Author Icon
Th

Right that's working MUCH better. I had a cpu choking audio out of sync problem which has now completely gone away. Thank you!
 5/20/2016 4:24 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Great to hear. You're welcome of course.

-------------------------
CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016