MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016

Telestream Community Forum
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Facebook restrictions… new? WTF?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 5/12/2016 5:13 PM
Status Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 5/12/2016 5:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jlinaschke

So today I went to stream to facebook and to my own site simultaneously and was met with this *****ly message:

Facebook changed their policy? If I'm reading this right, does this mean that I'm not allowed to stream to Facebook and to my own site simultaneously?

-Joseph
 5/12/2016 5:43 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Yes Facebook changed their policy. As noted you can still use RTMP at the same time.
One can speculate why they changed their policy but it seems to me they want exclusivity to your stream. Consider how CDNs make money when they're otherwise free.

-------------------------
CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
 5/12/2016 5:48 PM

Author Icon
jlinaschke

Yikes. Yeah they don't charge… so I wonder how long it'll be before they start putting ads on top of our video. But to be clear… you can still use RTMP, and my CDN is Streamshark.io, and once you guys added presets for them I just started using that. But AFAIK Streamshark is RTMP, so couldn't I just manually configure for Streamshark and that'd be all the same?

Another option would be to use two Macs to encode two outputs from the ATEM. *sigh*
 5/12/2016 6:18 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

You can always use RTMP to any CDN of your choice.

CraigS
 5/12/2016 6:19 PM

Author Icon
jlinaschke

Is there any difference between configuring my own RTMP vs the preset settings?
 5/12/2016 6:22 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

... the time it takes to set it up mostly.

CraigS
 5/12/2016 6:57 PM

Author Icon
jlinaschke

Perfect answer. Thanks :-)
 5/12/2016 8:52 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

You're welcome of course.

CraigS
 5/14/2016 5:17 PM

Author Icon
bbz

How are FB stopping you streaming to the 2nd? How do they even know. Wirecast included this functionality at their request?
 5/16/2016 7:28 AM

Author Icon
Fotokimster

A standard agreement between two companies that want to use the other ones technology is based on same principles as a EULA (END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT) or Partner License Agreement. You have to agree to the EULA before you can use the software. But a End User can more or less choose to respect and follow the EULA or bend the rules a bit, since the owner of a application can't really see and control everything. (this is what piracy is all about) But as a company you can't use or treat a Partner/EULA the same way, well yes you "can" but you would probably jeopardise the whole business. And for internet-services things really get tricky trying to avoid agreements.
Maybe you know all this already. So, in this case Telestream has the permission to use Facebook API/technology to make a stream possible to Facebook server. Same rules applies here - Use Facebook API, follow the agreement which in this case say - don't use Facebook API together with other streaming-services. Telestream can't just disregard that, because then Telestream would probably get sued and get some pretty bad reputation doing future business with similar companies or services.
In practical, I would guess Facebook demands that Telestream, and other API users for that matter, forces Wirecast (the software using the API) to not have the capability to stream using FB and some other service together. In other words its coded into the application core disabling the feature. Do it or remove the support for Facebook streaming completely.
This is my take on how it works, and I can't tell if things is as I try to explain. But I think I'm not that far off.

@fotokimster
 5/16/2016 3:14 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Yes, in short, Facebook requirement. They make the rules and we abide by them.

CraigS
 5/19/2016 10:10 PM

Author Icon
bbz

Yes I know they say that but we are the ones paying for this product not them. They are the ones wanting our content so they can make money and grow their audience vs Youtube

Fine if it was for a free or Facebook only sponsored version of Wirecast (like the youtube) but they shouldn't be telling us what we can't do with a product we paid full (and high) price for

Really, WTF

It's not like they can really stop you as it's trivial to just HMDI out into another encoder if rtmp wasn't sufficient.

I think what they're asking is likely illegal in Uk anyway as they've asked you to limit access to their competitors only (allowing rtmp shows that it's only named competitors they are seeking to restrict)

Edited: 5/19/2016 at 10:42 PM by bbz
 5/20/2016 4:11 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

You'll have to take that up with Facebook or the legal powers in the UK.
Facebook requires contractual compliance to use the API.

CraigS

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016