Increase font size
Topic Title: Can't get Wirecast to recognize USB mixer
Topic Summary:
Created On: 6/4/2010 10:53 PM
Status Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 6/4/2010 10:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
transcur1

Here's my hardware and settings:
brand new iMac with dual quad i5 processors running 10.6.3
Don't know the graphics card, whatever Apple puts in there
Video input source is a Sony HDR-HC1 1080i hi-def camera used in NTSC 4:3, put in through the firewire port
I'm not sure what the hardware source for streaming is or even what the term means, exactly.
The server is a Verizon-supplied Actiontec M1424-WR WiFi router, and the connections are being done wirelessly via WiFi, both between the iMac and the Internet and between both computers.
Wirecast preference settings are: Aspect ratio NTSC 4:3 720x480, drop shadows enabled, high qual. icons, vid display rate= 30 fps, desktop presenter frame rate and quality both set to auto, capture device size = reduced, device deinterlacing = none, use high quality video, use CPU compression.

I just replaced an Alesis USB mixer that started giving me cyclical static. Got a new Behringer Xenyx X1622USB. Wirecast does not recognize the new mixer. I've gone into all the different shots and edited them to try to use the USB codec, but no dice. I never had a problem with the old mixer.

I know the mixer is getting a signal into the iMac, as when I test it out in Garage Band I can hear my voice through the headphones-- however, it is a bit distorted, even when I turn off all the effects it still seems like there's some sort of delay. I do not get the delay when I test the mic just through the mixer using headphones.

Along with Garage Band I also have Abelton Live Light. As recommended by Craig, I made sure all the other programs that might be using the USB audio codec were closed and then re-booted the machine. Wirecast will still not recognize the USB audio codec on start up. Craig says that there may be another program that is grabbing the USB audio input from the mixer first, as only one program can use it at a time. If that is so, I can't determine which one it is.

Note that I am brand new to Mac, having used Windows for decades. This is all for an enterprise Web broadcast project, and the learning curve is more or less a straight vertical line. While I am fairly technical (I used to program in FORTRAN, yeah I belong in a museum), trying to learn all about Web broadcasting, get used to a brand new OS, and then trying to soak in Wirecast, Ustream, and coax my rudimentary audio engineering skills up to the near expert level is causing a bit of overload. Please try to explain things without too much jargon or acronyms. Any suggestions appreciated. -BC-
 6/7/2010 4:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
CraigS

In Wirecast go to Window>Show Device Manager. Do you see anything that might be USB there. It may have any of various labels so if you see something that might be it, try checking the appropriate box and quit and reopen Wirecast.

Do you have to install a Driver for the mixer? If not, then it's just using Apple's driver which would be the same as your previous mixer assuming you didn't need to install a driver for that either.

Another test would be to try with Skype and see if that gets the audio. Quicktime 7 would be another test. If GarageBand gets the audio then so should Wirecast unless there's something wrong with your settings generally.

-------------------------
CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.