Increase font size
Topic Title: Wirecast Crashes after about an hour
Topic Summary:
Created On: 1/8/2010 2:45 PM
Status Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 1/8/2010 2:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
gulumbit

I have posted about this problem before - apparently by mistake on the Windows forum. I thought I would wait until I had a new Mac to check it again before reposting.

The issue: Wirecast consistently only runs for one to one and half hours before it crashes and needs to be restarted - which makes it useless for the purpose for which I bought it.

The config is:
Wirecast 3.5.6
Mac OS X Server Version 10.6.2
MAC Mini 2.53 GHz Intel Core Duo with 4GB RAM
Camera is Canon XM-2 connected via Firewire
Streaming to Livestream Pro account
Wirecast codec set for Flash High Bandwidth default
Wirecast preference settings: Native capture device, no deinterlacing, use high quality video, use GPU compression, Wirecast registered with HDV upgrade, PAL 16:9 aspect ratio.

The same happens for the Wirecast I have running on my 10.5.8 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB MacBook Pro with the same model camera connected and the same settings.

Livestream's Procaster does not fall over like the Wirecast software. Niether does the Watershed encoder.

1/8/2010 8:09 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Although it's only a standard Livestream free account I've often done back to back 12-16 hour streams to Livestream without issue.
Are just streaming a single camera and doing absolutely nothing else?
Do you have anything else running on those computers at the time?
As a test can you try using the camera in DV mode? That may tell us if the issue is with the HDV plugin given those two computers are very different.

If I give you an email address can you send me one crash log from each computer?

-------------------------
CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
 1/12/2010 2:11 PM

Author Icon
SBaker

I'm having the same issue.

Config:

Wirecast 3.5.6
OS X 10.6.2
MacPro 2 x 2.8 ghz quad core intel xeon
2gb ram

Streaming to Livestream standard account

Codec set to Flash medium (per standard account)

Native capture/ blend deinterlace/ high quality video / use gpu compression

ntsc 4:3

I'm not using HD cameras -- three Canon Vixia HV 30 on separate cards

This is a relatively new issue (I've done over a thousand hours of live shows using Wirecast in the last two years). While doing the live show I usually break about an hour into our two hour show to start recording a new .mov file for the second hour. This helps keep the file sizes under the 1g for later uploads to Blip.tv. I've always kept the livestream going since it only takes me a few seconds to restart the show. Since the lastest Wirecast update in November I've been getting a warning from Wirecast when I try to go back into Broadcast Settings. It says: "Warning: Output in progress -- quality may be reduced -- If you creat a new destination with a higher quality than the destinations you currently have the quality of the new destination will be reduced. To avoid this, please start and stop all broadcasting."

If I leave the stream broadcasting and go ahead and create the second .mov then I usually hit a brick wall about 45 minutes into the second hour.

I can click on a video clip -- but it won't play or it will play herky jerky or play the audio with a frozen image on the video.

Sometimes Wirecast will spin out and quit.

If I stop the broadcast stream and restart it -- the same thing usually happens but not always.

If I stop the broadcast stream and quit wirecast and restart -- then usually everything is okay.

Obviously that's less than desirable because of the time involved in stopping the stream and quitting wirecast.

Thoughts?

Scott Baker
The B-Cast
Breitbart.tv

1/12/2010 3:06 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

The warning was added because of the quality issue under those circumstances. Without the warning some people were wondering why there was a drop in quality. We need to see if maybe Livestream changed something or whether it's specific to 3.5.6. Can you go back to 3.5.5 and test with that? That'll immediately tell us if it's something we changed specific to this update.

http://dynamic.telestream.net/...st.asp?prodid=wirecast

CraigS
 1/12/2010 4:45 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

I'm testing on an underpowered MacMini 1.83GHz Core Duo (pre Core 2 Duo) with Intel GMA 950 GPU, OS 10.5.8, Wirecast 3.5.6. I'm just using Desktop Presenter. Streaming with Flash Medium setting to Livestream. CPU is over 70%. It's about 2.5 hours and no issues.

Do this test before downgrading to Wirecast 3.5.5 if you can.
Try something equally simple (it could be a camera source) and see what happens.

CraigS
 1/19/2010 9:07 AM

Author Icon
gulumbit

Me again. My problems of Wirecast regularly crashing after 90 mins have dissapeared. All I did was change the Wirecast broadcast settings to HD, it then continued to crash, when I changed them back to Flash High Bandwidth it no longer crashes.

To answer your earlier question, both machines were doing nothing other than Wirecast.

You said you have done a lot of streaming to Livestream. Do you use the Wirecast default settings for Livestream or something else? I'm trying to improve the quality of my stream a bit whilst keeping it under 500kbps medium quality.
 1/19/2010 4:53 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Maybe HD pushed things too far on your system. I generally use Flash Medium setting which is near perfect for Livestream free account. Livestream may reject sending a data rate much higher than that (500kbps limit). If you have Livestream Premiere you can push things a lot further but you may be limiting the number of people who can view if they can't handle the higher bandwidth.

CraigS

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.