MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016

Telestream Community Forum
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How to record production?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 9/21/2014 6:51 PM
Status Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 9/21/2014 6:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
seewjay

OS - MacBook Pro 10.9.4
Computer and CPU - 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I no longer record to the hard drive because of CPU% issues. How can I record the production?

My mac has an HDMI-out, and I'm using 2 ultrastudio mini recorders and the intensity shuttle USB 3.0 for a 3-camera setup.
 9/21/2014 9:29 PM

Author Icon
eisejm87

Get some type of recorder like an Atomos, PIX or Hyperdeck.
 9/22/2014 5:34 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

The hard drive doesn't really have impact on CPU. It does on throughput though (dropped frames, etc).
I record to Apple ProRes on an External USB3 or Thunderbolt drive which has very little impact on CPU compared to H.264.

Wirecast can send video using External Monitor Output.

-------------------------
CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
 9/23/2014 2:07 AM

Author Icon
seewjay

I was told to try an external hard drive and the CPU% is staying around 82-86 if I have my office fan pointed at the computer. Seems to be my best bet, but I haven't tried Apple ProRes...what is that?
 9/23/2014 1:56 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

CPU above 80% can result in problems. External hard drives have very little impact with overall CPU use.
Apple ProRes is a professional post production codec. H.264 is generally not best for post workflow. It can take significant CPU resources to encode (and decode in post).

CraigS
 9/23/2014 4:22 PM

Author Icon
dpoole

seewjay, if your Record to Disk setting is different than your streaming setting, that can increase CPU.
If you keep Record to Disk the same as streaming (same codec, settings, etc) CPU should remain stable.
Hope that helps.
 9/23/2014 5:46 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Basically streaming and recording are using the same encoder rather than two encoders in that case.

CraigS
 9/24/2014 11:18 AM

Author Icon
flojoemuc

I use an Atomos Ninja for recording in Apple ProRes. To connect to the Ninja i use a Blackmagic UltraStudio Monitor (via Thunderbolt) what really works well with Wirecast.

To minimize the CPU usage i "outsourced" the streaming functionality to a Terradek Vidiu (by the way some of the ways to stream to the new Livestream.com, what is not possible with wirecast itself). So thunderbolt out to UltraStudio Monitor, record with Ninja in HD ProRes, loop HDMI throght Ninja and input HDMI into Vidiu.

CPU Usage with a MacBook Pro i7, 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM > 23%

I did a kind of burn in test with the new Livestream with this setup. The test was 8 hours of livestream without ANY problems.

Hope this helps!
Florian
 9/24/2014 7:19 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Interesting that New Livestream supports the Vidiu. Some have theorized that their red Broadcaster box is an OEM Vidiu.

CraigS

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016