Increase font size
Topic Title: Wirecast streaming to Amino A130 STBs
Topic Summary: unable to connect amino a130 STBs to wirecast streaming
Created On: 5/14/2011 8:34 PM
Status Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 5/14/2011 8:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jimmy327

Our church is using Wirecast 4 for several different purposes. We're currently using it to record our service and to stream our service to the web for those unable to attend. We'd also like to use it to stream to TVs spread around the church (in the Atrium, nursery, and perhaps to the gym for over-flow) but I have been unable to get our Amino A130s to connect directly to the wirecast stream.

I HAVE been able to get a video stream going by using VLC to run as middleware to re-encode the stream. I use the following settings in Wirecast:

LAN - Windows Media 9 preset
destination network
pull from server port 1850

I can then set up VLC to restream using:
Source - mms://10.0.0.3:1850
Destination -
UDP (Legacy)
Address: 235.0.0.1
Port: 1234
Transcoding: Video - H.264 + AAC (TS)
(ed: I don't know what the (TS) means, but it's required. H.264+AAC (MP4) does NOT work)

THEN, I set the amino to connect to udp://235.0.0.1:1234 and the stream works.

The problem is, it's a LOT of resources being used and it's causing problems all over the place. What I'd like to figure out is a way for the Amino to pull the stream directly from Wirecast. I don't think Amino can read WMV but I know it can decode MPEG4 as shown above.

I've tried setting up Wirecast to use MPEG 4 + AAC but it doesn't work in any format that I've found. I wonder if it's the encoder that the built-in streaming uses. I THINK Wirecast uses Apple's Darwin server. I DON'T think Amino A130s can decode that.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has come across this problem or figured out a way around it?

-------------------------
James Shipman - IT Support
Rogers First Church of the Nazarene
http://www.rogersfirst.com
Rogers, Arkansas
 5/14/2011 9:03 PM

Author Icon
jimmy327

Win Vista Home Premium 32bit SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHZ
8 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GT8800
input source - Desktop Presenter
streaming to Amino A130 IPTV STB

Broadcast settings
Quicktime
Encoder H.264
960X600
25fps
key frame 30 frames
destination Multicast
Video 235.0.0.2:1234
Audio 235.0.0.2:1236
FAILED

Windows Media
Windows Media Video 9
Windows Media Audio 9.2
960x600
25 fps
key frame 5 sec
3 sec buffer
100 smooth
Auto complexity
destination network
port number 1850
max connections 2
WORKS, but only if I use VLC to restream with H.264 + AAC (TS)

Rogers, Arkansas
 5/16/2011 2:46 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
CraigS

I'm not sure what the limitation are of the Amino A130 IPTV STB but Wirecast can stream to servers that can handle mms, rtsp, rtmp. See if the Amino can handle one of the other protocols

CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
 5/22/2011 3:20 PM

Author Icon
jimmy327

it does a form of mms, but it seems limited to legacy UDP. I haven't found a way to replicate this directly from wirecast. It WILL take an H264 + AAC (TS) stream, but I can't figure out how to send out a (TS) stream either.

it is SUPPOSED to handle rtsp; however I haven't been able to get it to accept one from ANYTHING at this point.

I'm working to try to get updated firmware for the box, but getting a support account with them is one of the most convoluted processes I've ever come across. I THINK that is why the rtsp stream is failing, but I can't be sure.

I haven't tried an rtmp stream. I don't remember seeing any documentation for that, on either end.

We're looking at putting a Wowza server in between, and that is where we're intending to go with final product anyway; but until we get the hardware/software stood up I've been trying to work something out. I'm hesitant to try to run Wirecast and Wowza off the same platform due to resource requirements.

Rogers, Arkansas
 5/23/2011 6:37 AM

Author Icon
mavik

I won't recommend wowza and wirecast on the same machine. Both are very CPU intense and the other side is that all connections from the users would come to one machine, that encodes and distributes. Not a good idea. You can use Wowza on Amazon with small costs. Runs perfect.
If you want to stay on one computer I can think of wirecast and a second Monitor for output the mix. Use a Multicast Screen Streamer for streaming to the LAN with Multicast. Therefore the number of users is irrelavant. And stream to a Wowza on Amazon for public/mobile viewing.

Dell E6530, I7-3720QM, 8GB Ram
Sintrones VDB-310 (mPCIe)
PE4L + AverMedia 727 (ExpressCard)
Intensity Shuttle (USB3.0)
AverMedia LGP (USB 2.0)
 5/27/2011 5:38 AM

Author Icon
hollor

Hi All

I am a newbie to wirecast and considering using it but would like to know if the following is possible

Will wirecast stream mpeg4, if I use the inbuilt darwin server. I want to stream to a wowza server in the network which will in turn stream mpeg4 using http live streaming to a set top box which support HLS stream

Feedback welcome

Thanks
Hollor
 5/27/2011 5:58 AM

Author Icon
mavik

Just stream directly to wowza. You won't need the build in streaming server

Dell E6530, I7-3720QM, 8GB Ram
Sintrones VDB-310 (mPCIe)
PE4L + AverMedia 727 (ExpressCard)
Intensity Shuttle (USB3.0)
AverMedia LGP (USB 2.0)
 5/27/2011 9:58 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
CraigS

Yes, there's no reason to use the darwin server if you're going to Wowza. Wowza will be able to take the stream and send using multiple methods.

CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.