MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016

Telestream Community Forum
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: cores vs clock speed
Topic Summary: Windows 10 2xdecklink duo + IP cams NEW BUILD
Created On: 5/16/2016 11:56 PM
Status Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 5/16/2016 11:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Upstage

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a bit of advice on a new build,

basicly I am looking a building a xeon dual chip board

C612 Chipset
E5-2600v3 LGA2011

How Much ram ? ECC ?

AMD FirePro W7100?

I am leaning toward 2x E5-2640 v4 10 cores 2.4 ghz

I have about $8000 USD to get a pc together.

I guess what I'm asking is, can Wirecast and Windows 10 take advantage of 20x 2.4ghz cores or am I better of getting Fewer Faster Cores?

and for advice on the other hardware.

-Peter

Edited: 5/17/2016 at 12:58 AM by Upstage
 5/17/2016 2:04 AM

Author Icon
Sacrilego

I'm actually trying to find out myself what's better, cores or frequency.
For Wirecast, ECC memory is not that important in my opinion.
Windows 10 is limited to 2 CPUs no matter how many cores, so 2x10 cores will work fine.
As for Wirecast, I'm thinking that it depends on the workflow and what other things you plan to be doing on the pc.

My current setup consists of an X79 board
32GB of ram (Quad Channel)
AMD Radeon 7870
Xeon E5-2670 8 cores 2.6ghz (3.3 Turbo) or i7 3930k 6 cores 3.2ghz (3.8 Turbo)
Decklink quad
Decklink Studio 2
Intensity pro
Timeleak HD72B
Wirecast 6 pro w/ Title Pro

So far I have found one particular situation where the octa core xeon faired better than the i7 for me.

We have a number of 3mp high bitrate h264 security cameras and I sometimes add them in to Wirecast to play around when I have no other inputs connected. I was able to decode 4 streams with around 60 to 70% usage. I can only do 3 with the hex core without it peaking in to the 90s.

But other than that, it's been a wash for me inside Wirecast.

Outside Wirecast is a different situation, having the faster frequency improves the performance of other applications that don't take advantage of so many cores.
I do plan on testing with a system that has 2 Xeon E5-2670 sometime soon.

If anyone wants me to do a particular test with my setup to compare cores vs frequency let me know.
 5/17/2016 4:56 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Generally I find more cores are more import that processor frequency but it would be interesting to test comparable processors (comparable is key).

-------------------------
CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
 5/17/2016 5:03 PM

Author Icon
jvphobic

Sacrilego... so, I currently have an intel 4770K and it seems to pull in 2 RTMP streams very well to Wirecast. But, I am looking at upping to 4 or 5 RTMP streams. I assume they are very similar to IP cameras (4-5meg streams). Do you have a thought as to a processor that would be best for an upgrade?
 5/19/2016 2:40 AM

Author Icon
Sacrilego

Originally posted by: CraigS
Generally I find more cores are more import that processor frequency but it would be interesting to test comparable processors (comparable is key).

I think the cpu set I have is quite comparable in terms of performance, The xeon has a 1.2 ghz advantage of raw speed if you add all the cores, but there are usually other factors involved with keeping those extra cores busy that make that speed advantage less of an issue.
I can also overclock the i7 to reduce that advantage.

My gut feeling tells me that the more inputs, streams and destinations you have, the more you benefit of more cores than frequency.
Obviously when the cpu with the higher amount of cores exceed the raw frequency of the other cpu, then it would be better for the program you're using if it can take advantage of all those cores. All this when using cpus of the same generation/family.

And with that, I have a question, what is the maximum amount of cores that Wirecast can leverage?
 5/19/2016 2:34 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

i7 3930k 6 cores and the Xeon E5-2670 are booth Sandy Bridge I believe. They are a few years old but comparable. Current is Skylake I believe. Xeons of equivalent named series are often released a bit later. I'm just pointing out some things to be aware of when detraining comparable i7 and Xeon processors.

I haven't seen a limit to the number of cores Wirecast can use. Throw enough at it, and Wirecast will use them.

-------------------------
CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016