Increase font size
Topic Title: Wirecast V4 lost Key
Topic Summary: no way to register
Created On: 12/12/2010 2:39 PM
Status Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/12/2010 2:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mauldor

Recently I updated Quicktime (as Apple told me to) and today I ran Wirecast and was confused as to why it was showing the watermark. I checked the settings and saw that there was indeed no serial number listed:

No Worries, I dug out my Serial Number and this came up:

I went through the trouble of removing and reinstalling Wirecast 4, no difference. I searched the registry and removed all traces of my key and the program, reinstalled and still no go. I have logged a support call but this is rather worrying that I now have an dead wirecast 4.
 12/13/2010 1:24 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

I've heard you've already filed a support ticket so they should clarify this ASAP.

BTW I had a similar issue due to having the 4 beta previously installed.

-------------------------
CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
 12/13/2010 1:41 PM

Author Icon
mauldor

Got a reply from Jesse:

1. First you need to uninstall Wirecast.
2. Then you need to reinstall Wirecast 3.5.8 it's on the left hand side of the screen in blue: http://dynamic.telestream.net/...st.asp?prodid=wirecast
3. From there you need to activate Wirecast 3.5.8 using your current serial number.
4. Then you need to update to version 4.0
5. Wirecast 4.0 should now be unlocked and activated.

Trying this now, handy info in case anyone else has the same issue.
 12/13/2010 6:39 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Post to confirm it works.

CraigS
 12/14/2010 3:25 AM

Author Icon
mauldor

This method works, I was instructed that if I had installed the Beta this can happen yet no Beta has ever touched this machine and it was working fine until that day, in fact it was working one moment and the next it stopped (Watermark). I have no idea why it happened but at least if it does, this is a fix.
 12/14/2010 12:40 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Thanks for confirming. Odd that what you saw is similar to what some of us experienced with the beta though. Perhaps it's not limited to the beta.

CraigS
 12/19/2010 6:25 PM

Author Icon
revbaw

This method didn't work for me. Any other suggestions?
 12/20/2010 2:35 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

I'm not sure you have the same problem since you haven't posted any information. I'm not sure if you followed mauldor's instructions exactly. Please post exactly what you're seeing, whether you had Wirecast previously licensed and if so, followed the steps listed. I can't make a suggestion without a description. I can't assume that what appears to be the same problem is actually the same problem.

CraigS
 12/20/2010 11:18 PM

Author Icon
revbaw

Quite right Craig. In my case I changed my cpu chip from a duo to a quad core. Everything else in the computer including hard drive, graphics card, software... was not touched. Then I went to broadcast and the demo stuff was on. So I checked the registration info and found that it was empty whereas it had only minutes before the cpu change been working, albeit far to over cpu intensive to be useful. So I tried to enter the serial number again and received the exact same error message as mauldor. So I tried the exact same steps as Jesse outlined.
1. First you need to uninstall Wirecast 4.
2. Then you need to reinstall Wirecast 3.5.8 it's on the left hand side of the screen in blue: http://dynamic.telestream.net/...st.asp?prodid=wirecast
3. From there you need to activate Wirecast 3.5.8 using your current serial number.
It would not activate, said it could not.
I thought maybe this was because my backup machine was still activated in 3.5.7 (It had been a while since I tried to use it. as it was setup for emergencies like this when I'm suppose to go live but my main wirecast fails) So silly me I deactivated that installation thinking maybe it would then allow me to activate it on the production machine. It didn't. Said it couldn't. Then I thought well...I best use the back up machine since it was almost broadcast time. And you guessed it the backup machine did not re activate...in fact still can't get it going, two days later. Support gave me same advice as the forum above for fixing the problem. Which of course didn't work. Then they said it is a problem with the activation machine... And I haven't heard back from them when that may or may not be fixed.
But I was able to broadcast. I download the free Adobe FME 3.1 and a multi-cam program which was also free and I streamed on time with excellent quality but not nearly as easily as wirecast. So while this hiccup with Version 4 is annoying it hasn't caused me too much grief to stop using wirecast.
 12/21/2010 12:55 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Try this, Create a New User with Admin status on the machine you' want to use. Uninstall and Wirecast and install Wirecast 4 directly. Activate from this new Admin account. Post back that you tried that and the results of course.

CraigS
 12/21/2010 3:54 PM

Author Icon
revbaw

Hey Craig,
Thanks for the suggestion. Support figured the best way for my situation was the original steps outlined about and they issued a new serial number. It worked like a charm. I guess something got muddled with the old serial number...I'd try your suggestion but it's too close to broadcast to mess around again.
 12/21/2010 4:38 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Good to hear the new serial number worked. Be on the lookout for the gremlins that ate the serial number though.

CraigS
 1/2/2011 8:57 AM

Author Icon
HiltonT

There's definitely something funky with Wirecast 4.0.1 and its serial number activation.

I just got my new laptop for Wirecast (and forgot to deactivate the old install, so I'll need to sort that sometime soon...) and did a fresh OS install because I can trust Dell OS installs about as far as I can kick Dell's headquarters with a broken right leg. As part f my bog standard installation procedure, I install and activate all apps as an Admin user, then when all is up and running, I create a new Limited User login ("Streaming"), log out as Admin, log in as Limited, and run everything from there - WAY safer, especially when leaving a machine unlocked at an event somewhere, and it is a HELL of a lot harder to get malware installed when the user has no install rights!

So, I start Wirecast as the "Streaming" user and it runs through its configuration, then starts telling me it is in demo mode. Really? I've entered both my Pro and HDV keys. So I assume that something bOrked and it lost the keys when I changed to the limited Streaming user. When I try to re-enter the keys, I get the same message as others have received in this thread - remember, this is a *brand new* install of the OS and Wirecast 4.0.1 - no previous versions have ever existed on this machine.

As I normally run one login for me and another for onsite streaming, and as Wirecast 4.0.1 has issues accepting previously activated registration codes on the same machine, does this mean I will need to remove each key from each user if and when I log in as a different user login? THAT'S NUTS!!!

Come on guys, you need to get this sorted. The program has to be installed as (and should be activated as) an administrator. This shouldn't stop me working in a Best Practices scenario of only ever *using* the machine as a Limited User.

Regards,

Hilton Travis
http://blog.hiltontravis.com/

My Wirecast Config
 1/3/2011 11:23 AM

Author Icon
Coruway

I used the technique from above (AND PASTED AGAIN BELOW) and IT WORKED as I migrated to a Mac Pro from a laptop.

I unistalled Wirecast simply by dragging it to the trash.

1. First you need to uninstall Wirecast.
4. Then you need to update to version 4.0
5. Wirecast 4.0 should now be unlocked and activated.

-Bill

NoworNeverMedia.org
baldguyonclimatechange.com
@baldguyclimate
FlyingDownhill.com
 1/3/2011 1:23 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Hilton, you should submit a support form on your issue as the coders may not have thought about access from a limited user account.

BTW whenever you uninstall Wirecast from a system, you should consider deactivating it first because our system may still see the machine as registered. You can move Wirecast activation around easily but deactivating before moving ensures that you maintain your full compliment of two simultaneous machines.

CraigS
 1/4/2011 10:48 PM

Author Icon
HiltonT

G'day Craig,

Yeah, I know to deactivate, but when time's short and the list of things to do is high, sometimes things like this get overlooked - I'll try mounting a backup VHD I have and see if I can deactivate, else I'll submit a ticket.

As to the "the coders may not have thought about access from a limited user account", say what? Coders are SUPPOSED to code for people running user-land applicxations as limited users. Coding user-land applications so that only local administrators can run them is really poor programming practice - and isn't something that's changed in well over a decade.

Regards,

Hilton Travis
http://blog.hiltontravis.com/

My Wirecast Config
 1/5/2011 11:00 AM

Author Icon
CraigS

You should submit the issue regarding Wirecast use for limited user accounts as well. Since it may not be a widely reported issue it may well be that most run from admin accounts.

CraigS
 1/22/2011 1:06 AM

Author Icon
rluxon

I also am having problems. I just submited a support ticket, but time is ticking closer to an important production that can make or break a fair size money maker for me. As of last sunday (16 Jan 2011), Wirecast worked fine, I streamed live, and recorded to disk as well. Today (Friday, 21 Jan, 2011) I open wirecast to set up for another stream only to find that I have fallen under the Demo mode. I paid for the basic version, and was quite pleased with it up till now. This is not something that I need, and I need to get this same problem solved.

I tried Mauldor's Method with no success, then I tried Craig's idea of opening a new Admin account, still no success.
If I dont get this solved soon, I will be forced to purchase new software. Sadly, it wont be wirecast again if this is the case.

Any advise would be greatly appriciated as I really like using the wirecast software.
 1/24/2011 1:18 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Did you get reactivated through support yet?
Did something update on your system that might be tied to the deactivation? Windows update? Wirecast update?
Note that Mauldor mentions a Quicktime update for example.

CraigS
 1/24/2011 2:45 PM

Author Icon
rluxon

Nothing was updated since the last time that I used wirecast, infact, the computer was not even turned on since. I did get a response from support, but it did no good as it is still saying that I have to deactivate my existing serial number before I can enter one of the same level. (A little hard to do when there is no serial number showing in the Prefrenced->Register->serial number window.

Is there some other way I need to do this by going into the file?
 1/24/2011 3:13 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Respond back to support immediately. They normally deactivate all activations from their end if you can't do it on your side.

You could try doing an uninstall, download 4.0.1 and reinstall. To be safe you could also try reinstalling from a new user account with admin privileges. That will get past the issue if it's user specific.

CraigS
 1/26/2011 9:40 PM

Author Icon
rluxon

I called support the other day and talked to Jennifer. She was very helpfull and got me fixed up and on my way in about 20 minutes. Thank you as well CraigS for your help too.
 1/27/2011 1:45 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Great to hear. BTW do feel free to post the solution in case others bump into the same issue.

CraigS
 5/28/2011 2:57 PM

Author Icon
crema

I have the same problem here in my macbook pro. I can't add my serial number.
 5/31/2011 12:12 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

You'd need to send me via forum private message, serial number, name and email used to purchase, that it was activated on other machines or previously activated on the current machine. Confirm that you are using Wirecast 4.

CraigS
 6/11/2011 1:39 AM

Author Icon
streamhawk

Hi CraigS,

I had Wirecast 4.0.1 working just fine on my old MacBook Pro 15", got myself a new 17"MacBook Pro and did a Time Machine restore, and now Wirecast says that there's an old serial somewhere that I need to delete... Just in case your wondering, I deactivated Wirecast on the old Macbook Pro. What's the name for the preferences to wirecast that holds this serial number, maybe if I can delete it from my library, and then it will let me register. I tried all the last steps in this thread, nothing works. Please help. Thanks.
 6/13/2011 12:15 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Send me a private message with the serial number and your name and email and we'll get back to you with instructions.

CraigS

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.