Increase font size
Topic Title: Wireless Camcorder for streaming
Topic Summary:
Created On: 9/3/2010 8:49 PM
Status Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 9/3/2010 8:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SCITrainer

Hi all

I am going to be using Wirecast to broadcast a live stream from our annual fundraising event and just thought I would post up how I figured out a way to use a camcorder as a mobile wireless live stream.

I have searched and searched the internet for a cheap solution and I couldn't find anything. So here is what I did...

RF-Link 5.8ghz A/V Transmitter and Receiver
14.4v External Lithium Ion Battery Pack
(2) 12dbi 5.8ghz L-Com Omnidirectional Antenna
(2) SMA Male to N Female pigtails
Sony GV-HD700 MiniDV Player (already had this on hand)
Sony MiniDV camcorder (any will do as long as they have a plug for Composite A/V out)
Backpack
Velcro strips

I first figured out where in the backpack I wanted the transmitter and battery to sit and then glued velcro strips to the inside of the pack to secure them. I then did the same with the 12dbi antenna. The battery powers the transmitter @ 14.4V. Using the A/V out on the camcorder I used a 3.5mm jack to composite cable which plugs into the composite connection on the transmitter.

The receiver is connected to the MiniDV player through the composite IN on the player. The player is connected to the computer via Firewire (DV Out). Wirecast recognizes the player for what it is and assigns a camera slot to it. I would assume that any capture device with composite in/DV out would work.

With this rig I can move ~ 150ft away indoors (through multiple walls with metal studs) and stream live, outdoors at least 300ft (I haven't tested max range yet). The one drawback is that moving (walking) while shooting is not clean (static, occasional tearing) however once I stop I can move the camera freely in any plane without interference.

I hope this helps anyone who might be looking for a similar setup. The cost for the Transmitter/Receiver, Battery, Antennas, Pigtails was ~$600
 9/7/2010 6:21 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Very interesting setup. What transmitter/receiver did you use? Perhaps there are longer range devices on the market that can handle some the static issues you ran into.

-------------------------
CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
 9/7/2010 7:14 PM

Author Icon
SCITrainer

It is the RF-Link AVS-5808. There is a booster available for it but it would have to be powered as well and I don't think the battery I have could power both.

I haven't found anything longer range that wasn't in the multiple thousands of dollars.
 9/8/2010 4:04 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

This?
http://www.rflinkusa.com/products_AVS5808.html

CraigS
 9/8/2010 4:38 PM

Author Icon
SCITrainer

Yes, that is it.
 9/9/2010 2:54 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Thanks for confirming. It looks very cost effective.

CraigS
 9/9/2010 10:20 PM

Author Icon
MrM1

What are you using for Batteries? I fly Electric Remote control airplanes and routinely use 11.1 and 14.4 Lithium Polymer packs in the 2500 to 5000 mAh range.

reason I ask is because I do not know what you pay for them, but they use to cost use about 75 to 150 per pack, but now we are finding them for about 12-30. YES big drop in price. Can link if you are interested. The are raw batteries though and you need a charger for them, but that again is pretty cost effective at about 50.

Intel Core i7 930 2.8 - 6g Ram / NVIDIA GeForce 9500 1024 mb
Camera 1 - Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 USB 2.0 on a 65' USB Repeater cable
Camera 2 - Canon Optura Xi via Firewire
Camera 3 - Canon Optura 50 via ADVC 55 S-video
Camera 4 - Canon Optura Xi via ADVC 55 S-video
Wirecast 4 / Bonjour / DTP on Network PC / 1 gig Network
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 / Windstream Ethernet Internet Access 3mbs-3mbs To Justin TV
 9/10/2010 2:41 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Yes, people interested in putting together this kit might want to know where you got the components.

B&H has the Transmitter Receiver set.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/...ireless_8_Channel.html
They don't mention accessories such as batter backs because they're assuming indoor use.

CraigS
 9/10/2010 6:15 PM

Author Icon
MrM1

Here is the source for those batteries and one example.

Note these packs are rated in number of cells and mAhs

3s = 3 cells and is 11.1v
4s = 4 cells and is 14.8v

Here is a 4s 3300mAh 30c pack for $41. The user would need a charger for that pack and a method to connect it to their equiptment. The thing I dont know is what the mAh of the packs they are using are, but surely there would be a cross reference. And the connection would be easy to make.

4s 14.4v 3300 mAh Battery:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobby...00mAh_4S_30C_Lipo_Pack

Here is an example of a charger for $28:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobby...er_1-6_Cells_(GENUINE)

The charger would charge serval different types of batteries. The user would need to select the number of cells (4s) and the mAh ratting (3300) to charge.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 / Windstream Ethernet Internet Access 3mbs-3mbs To Justin TV
 9/13/2010 12:13 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Thanks for that. This will help people who need a low budget solution for wireless field work.

CraigS
 9/13/2010 8:46 PM

Author Icon
MrM1

I realize those "raw" batteries are for the true DIY person. But I think they would be a great alternative to the ready made packs for a much lower cost.

In the RC field, we had gone to taking A123 cells out of the new cordless drill packs a year or so ago when they first came out and no one but the cordless pack makers could get them. Also A123 might also be a good battery type for this. The can be charge much more quickly.

9/14/2010 1:52 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Battery packs aren't too difficult as beginner DIY projects. I think lots of Wirecast users are looking for low cost flexible solutions. Wirecast itself is very much a user friendly "erector set" compared to other solutions. As you discover how things work in it, your creative can certainly run amok getting interesting things to work with it.

CraigS
 9/20/2010 12:23 AM

Author Icon
CaptRR

This looks like an interesting project. What kind of range and performance you get out of. In our baseball we abandoned the wireless link due to color shifting and video drop out. I would love to go back to wireless (running that long wire out to the center field fence is to say the least a pain), if it was cost feasible and worked well.
 9/20/2010 11:56 AM

Author Icon
CraigS

He mentions 150' indoors and tested to 300' outdoors. He notes some issues while moving though. It seems like it could be a good idea for a roving camera though.

CraigS

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.