Telestream Community Forum
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Record an iPhone/iPad Screen?
Topic Summary: Need a new app!
Created On: 3/24/2011 1:52 PM
Status Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next >> Last unread
Topic Tools Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 3/24/2011 1:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DrJ

I'd love to integrate screen recordings of our company's app on the iPhone/iPad into my podcasts. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find an app to record on an iOS device, at least unless I jailbreak it, which I am unwilling to do.

1. Does anyone know of an existing app that will do this? I'd love to import footage from them into ScreenFlow.

2. Is there any chance of Telestream producing such an app itself?

-------------------------
Dr. J
Podcast Host, "Lighting the Lamp"
Accordance Bible Software
 3/24/2011 3:03 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

One of the issues has to do with multitasking on iOS devices. To record an iOS screen requires a form of multitasking not officially permitted.
The new iPad2 though now has video mirroring
http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/mirroring.html
So I'm thinking there's got to be a way to get onto a screen that ScreenFlow might see. HDMI input device (Blackmagic Intensity Pro or Matrox MXO2) into a player displayed on the desktop maybe?

CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
 3/24/2011 9:52 PM

Author Icon
DrJ

Intriguing thought,

Does anyone here have an iPad 2 and is willing to test this for us? In fact, I wonder if I should make a formal request to have the iPad 2 a selectable video source in SF2. I'm thinking it would meet a real need for developers with an iPad app to promote. Most of the current crop of iPad demo podcasts I've seen are pretty lame.

Dr. J
 3/25/2011 12:37 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

The iPad2 would have to feed some input device to get it into the computer. That device would/should be selectable. An iPad2 is on my shopping list and I already have an MXO2 for HDMI in. I can't promise how soon I'll be able to test this (pending when I get an iPad2) so if somebody can beat me to this test that would be good.

CraigS
 3/25/2011 12:52 PM

Author Icon
DrJ

Thanks, Craig, I really appreciate it. I'll second your request for anyone who currently has the correct hardware to check this out.

Dr. J
 3/25/2011 6:26 PM

Author Icon
DrJ

Just found this related thread at TUAW: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/25...d-dirty-way/#continued

Dr. J
 3/25/2011 6:39 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Neat. Of course I was thinking in terms of the MXO2, which they mention, for best quality. It's nice to know there's a budget solution.

CraigS
 3/25/2011 8:22 PM

Author Icon
DrJ

Me too, I looked at TUAW's video sample, then headed over to ScreencastsOnline and looked at this one, recorded with the Matrox: http://www.screencastsonline.c...0262-omnifocusipad.php It's definitely better quality.

Hmmm...., I wonder if he is using ScreenFlow?

Dr. J
 3/25/2011 9:15 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

In the past I had an issue with MXO2 using both video and audio on HDMI to ScreenFlow. Video only worked.
It's not clear what they're using but they've posted very good reviews of ScreenFlow in the past.

CraigS
 3/26/2011 6:56 PM

Author Icon
DrJ

My company just approved the purchase Matrox mini, so looks like I will be adding the iPad 2 demos to our podcasts. I don't really need simultaneous audio; I've got that pretty well covered through other gear. Should have everything up and running next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the help.

Dr. J
 3/26/2011 11:11 PM

Author Icon
esbjornlarsen

I'm using a Netstor turbobox packed with 3 HDMI Blackmagic Intensity Pro cards, to which I connect the iPad2. I get perfect quality into Wirecast and other programs that can detect the video input.

Esbjorn Larsen
 3/27/2011 4:09 PM

Author Icon
ea6651

I looked into the MXO2 as well, but according to the Matrox forums, it also requires a Matrox PCIe or expressCard in your Mac. That means you need either a MacPro or an older MacBook Pro. According to Matrox, this does not work with iMac's. Bummer, since that's what we use...
http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/vi...fb362f5aa497255829275a
 3/27/2011 4:41 PM

Author Icon
flowney

Another, less expensive approach, would use the iPad VGA adaptor and VGA2USB by Eiphan ($299.95). Problem is that I don't know if Screenflow will make use of USB video input.

I have seen the MXO 2 in action with BoinxTV and it's really slick. Would ScreenFlow see and use the MXO 2? Here's the video (in German) of that setup: http://www.boinx.com/chronicle...%28Boinx+Chronicles%29
 3/27/2011 6:55 PM

Author Icon
DrJ

I've been impressed with what I've seen of the MXO2's quality too. It's easily good enough for our purposes [training videos for Bible software, which involve a lot of text on the screen]. I own a MBP with an ExpressCard slot, so I'm good there. I also see that the new 17" MBP keeps the slot. I've not had the greatest luck with ExpressCards, though I've only been using one to add an extra FW buss to my MBP. Hmmm...., if this were a year from now, I'[d be hoping for a ThunderBolt enabled MBP and a Matrox ThunderBolt connector. Unfortunately, I need to get these videos out the door now.

Thanks for the great input, everyone. This discussion has been very helpful.

Dr. J
 3/28/2011 3:31 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

esbjornlarsen, very cool. Nice to know it works with Wirecast too.

ea6651, Current MacBook Pro 17" has Express slot. MXO2Mini won't work with iMac as obviously there's no PCIe or Express slot. Of course the new world of Thunderbolt may change things. Let's see what the new Mac models brings and how the input device companies respond but my hunch is they'll be taking advantage of that.

flowney, I use MXO2 with ScreenFlow as I note above and it certainly works with Wirecast Mac which is way better than BoinxTV (which is not at all related to ScreenFlow in features) in my opinion and experience.

DrJ, right on including the future of Thunderbolt but MBP with Express port works right now of course.

CraigS
 4/1/2011 1:04 PM

Author Icon
DrJ

OK, Have the Matrox MX02 up and running into my MBP. iPad 2 connected via Apple's digital adapter. ScreenFlow 2 will record it at 720p 59.9 10 bit setting, but quality is not as high as I hoped. The text is very soft to downright fuzzy. That's disappointing, as our software uses a lot of text.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have any suggestions to increase resolution and readability?

Dr. J
 4/1/2011 2:47 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

ScreenFlow doesn't record HD yet so that might be having some impact. It's probably downscaling.

CraigS
 4/1/2011 3:41 PM

Author Icon
miketrose

Part two of the TUAW series: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/01...g-in-higher-definition -- using an EyeTV HD component-in and another Sewell box to convert VGA to Component. Seems to work pretty well, although the aspect ratio is quirky. That also means using EyeTV as your recording software.

I've used the Epiphan converter with Boinx with good results (from a computer, not an iPad); in principle it should work with Screenflow too.
 4/1/2011 3:44 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

miketrose you should try Telestream Wirecast.

CraigS
 4/6/2011 5:32 AM

Author Icon
graceac

Hello guys, I am new at this forum, I just bought ScreenFlow and I was hoping to achieve the same goal you want in this topic: record the iPad screeen.

Well, I bought my iPad2 two weeks ago and the Digital AV (HDMI) cable as well. Soon enough I discovered that even having a powerful five months old iMac I can't buy the Matrox MXO2 to capture the image of the iPad. So, I am here to ask you:

Is there any way I could use my iMac with Matrox? I mean, maybe something else in the middle, like the EyeTV HD to interface with the iMac?

I am sorry if that's a dumb question. I got an investor to make these screencasts available and I really need to make it work, having the costs at $600-$700 at the most. I am not considering Matrox MXO because I am not sure it would connect HDMI with my iPad.

Thank you very much for your attention! Nice discussion here =)
 4/6/2011 7:35 AM

Author Icon
DrJ

Hi, Grace!

You're right, the Matrox will not work with an iMac. Try the TUAW link Mike posted in an earlier thread. The EyeTV in it connects to the Mac via a USB port. Notice you'll have to buy the Apple VGA adapter. I'm not aware of a USB solution that allows the use of Apple's digital adapter (If anyone here is, please speak up!).

I have had some success in recording the iPad> Digital Adapter> Matrox MXO2 mini> ExpressCard> MBP [QuickTime 7 Pro using Quality: "Device Native."] However, the files are HUGE! Can you say "600 MB/sec?!?!" Frankly, my old MBP (4,1) is having trouble keeping up. Using "H.264 Best" results in 90% smaller files, but the resolution isn't as good—and I am a bit concerned about what will happen when I compress the entire project w/ H264. Will it mean that file will be compressed twice? That can't be good...

Still working on a solution here, but the clock is ticking and I need to get a solution soon. My podcast is already well overdue...

Dr. J
 4/6/2011 12:56 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Just an aside but a warning I give most people intending to do professional work on an iMac is the limited expandability. PCIe ports are a must in my opinion. It's also why I warn people when I make equipment suggestions that I'm a firm believer in overbuying. Buy for tomorrow, not today. Matrox MXO2mini is $449 I believe. At least there's the great "equalizer" on the horizon. That's Thunderbolt. It's already on all MacBookPros, I would expect it to be on iMacs too. Now if only the video input boxes would get their stuff ready. NAB is nearly upon us so we can hope. Alas this is all a "tomorrow" solution as well.

All that said, the TUAW solution seems like something worth looking at for now. It's not expensive.

CraigS
 4/7/2011 8:58 AM

Author Icon
DrJ

Here is a work around solution I can recommend,:

The best results for those without a dedicated HD video recording software can be achieved using QT 7 Pro to record the iPad in HD with a Matrox MXO2. [Matrox's own Ventura Capture, which offers several intermediate codexes, remains fragile and needs a new Mac driver. The company is working on it.]

Equipment: iPad 2> Apple Digital Adapter> HDMI cable> Matrox mini> ExpressCard/34> MBP

System Prefs> Matrox: A/V input: HDMI, scale input for capture, 720p, center cut
QuickTime Prefs: Source: 1080i 59.94 YUV 8-bit [720p 59.94 YUV 8-bit] also produces acceptable quality]; Quality: DEVICE NATIVE
Record... [QT files will be huge (600 MB/sec)]

Use SF2 and import media to open the .mov file. Text display is very readable however, QT skips some frames. Recommend doing essential actions (like accessing a menu via an icon) slowly, to be sure one captures it on screen. Exports using H.264 codex are of acceptable quality. However, do NOT try to record in QT using H. 264, import to SF2 and expect to be able to [re]compress your project using H.264. The results are simply mush.

Dr. J
 4/7/2011 9:04 AM

Author Icon
CraigS

Thanks for that. It's a great tip.
I'd note the importance of QT 7 Pro in this. QT X does not support external input devices.

CraigS
 4/7/2011 9:12 AM

Author Icon
DrJ

Craig, I certainly agree.

The ideal recording setup is a newer Mac Pro mounting very fast HDs, even an SSD or two. I have been desperately trying to remain with a MBP in order to be mobile, but recording any kind of HD on it is iffy. I love the portability, but may be forced into a desktop machine.

BTW, while the MBP eSATA buss is theoretically 3.0 GB/s, Apple has limited it to 1.5 GB/s in order to keep the optical drive. Currently, Apple will not substitute a second HD or SSD for the optical drive—and the third party solutions, like OWC's, cannot remove the limitation. I am hoping that the next generation of MBP will retain Thunderbolt, dump the optical drive for another HD/SSD and restore the eSATA to 3.0 GB/s. Such a machine would record HD handily!

Meanwhile, I am trying to wait one more year before getting a new MBP...

Dr. J
 4/7/2011 9:18 AM

Author Icon
CraigS

I think we'll see SSD and RAID 0 Thunderbolt solutions by this summer. It'll be interesting to see the speed test results when they happen.

CraigS
 4/9/2011 3:41 AM

Author Icon
SierraX

As cheap as your solution is, such poor the quality.
Think the cheapest solution with manageable quality is the epiphan vga2usb
http://www.epiphan.com/products/frame-grabbers/vga2usb/

Watch my Casts
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on AudioBoo
 4/11/2011 8:52 AM

Author Icon
DrJ

SierraX,

Are you saying you have successfully recorded iPad mirroring with an Epiphan vga2usb? If so, please point me to one of your screencasts that uses it. My German is limited and I could not find one.

I do know that Epiphan's DVI2USB will record an iPad, but its cost is high.

Meanwhile, I have successfully captured iPad mirroring with QTP 7 using "device native" and a Matrox mini at 720p 29.97 YUV 8-bit. The file was huge, 3.6 GB for 1 minute, but SF2 imported it successfully. I expect the podcast to be released today. I'll update this post with a link when it's ready.

Dr. J
 4/11/2011 1:53 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

DrJ I've been able to test myself. So far all MXO2 720p 8 bit frame rates seem to work. That surprised me. Odd thing is, measured, the iPad screen seems to show as 800x600 not 1024x768. ScreenFlow records the 720p Screen at 640x360 at first glance.
What codec are you using in QuickTime? Animation would be HUGE. You could use ProResLT if you have Final Cut Studio installed.

CraigS
 4/11/2011 5:31 PM

Author Icon
DrJ

Hi, Craig! I've had success with 720p too, but not Apple's claimed 1080p: http://store.apple.com/us/prod...jU4NjE&mco=MTcyMTgxNTk
My best results have been with QT7P's "device native," thus NO compression. QT7P's codecs are limited to none and H.264. I don't have FCS or even FCE.

The iPad's native resolution seems to be 4:3 at 1024 x 768: http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Epiphan does have a solution using their VGA2USB LR ($799): http://www.epiphan.com/product...usb-lr/specifications/
It is their recommendation for capturing iPad video streams: http://www.epiphan.com/solutio...-and-images-from-ipad/
Apparently their VGA2USB ($299) also works at low (10 fps) frame rates:http://www.epiphan.com/product...ga2usb/specifications/

Dr. J

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.