MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016

Telestream Community Forum
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Kodak Zi8 and ScreenFlow
Topic Summary: Does the Kodak Zi8 work with ScreenFlow?
Created On: 6/14/2010 10:23 AM
Status Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 6/14/2010 10:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mbritt

I've got the Kodak Zi8 pocket camera and it shoots great video and takes great stills as well. It connects to my mac through USB. I've tried to use it with ScreenFlow, but ScreenFlow doesn't appear to recognize it as a video source. Anything I'm doing wrong? Is there a webcam that works with ScreenFlow that delivers really great video like the Kodak? The built-in Mac webcam delivers pretty poor quality video.

Any help appreciated.

Michael
 6/14/2010 6:14 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

You should probably import into iMovie and then export it. ScreenFlow should handle what iMovie exports.
If you're trying to use it like a webcam, many cameras just use the USB to transfer files and not send live to the computer. If Quicktime can't see it as a webcam than neither will ScreenFlow.

The best webcams for the Mac right now IMHO are Logitech Quickcam VisionPro and aGent V5.

-------------------------
CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
 6/14/2010 9:07 PM

Author Icon
mbritt

Thanks Craig. Very helpful info. I think I’m going to get the Quickcam - looks nice.

appreciate the fast response.
 6/15/2010 6:57 PM

Author Icon
allend

What I do is connect the Kodak Zi8. Double click the icon and find the folder that contains all of the videos you recently shot. They will be .mov files. Simply drag them into a folder on your mac desktop and then drop one .mov file into the media tab inside of ScreenFlow. And you should be good to go without using any program to import the files. good luck!

Allen
 6/16/2010 12:06 PM

Author Icon
ScottSkibell

Allend is correct. ScreenFlow easily reads .mov files. I'm able to combine Zi8 movies and ScreenFlow screencaptures with ease. You can then use ScreenFlow as the video editor. This is great if you want to record yourself giving a Keynote presentation or something.

I believe mbritt was looking to use the Zi8 as a webcam though. That isn't possible. But does anyone know of, or have a list of, good external webcams other than the iSight camera that easily feeds video into a ScreenFlow recording?

Scott

Scott Skibell
SkillCasting.com
MacScreencasting.com
 6/16/2010 6:01 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

See above. Logitech Quickcam VisionPro and aGent V5. They seem to be the best webcams on the Mac right now. If you can get an inexpensive or even a used DV camera (firewire out) that will work as well. DV cameras can look very good in ScreenFlow but they cost more of course.

CraigS
 6/16/2010 6:25 PM

Author Icon
ScottSkibell

Sorry, Craig. Had I properly read your last line I would've seen you already answered my question! D'oh!

I'll take a look at the aGent V5. The Logitech I have and it's not quite sharp enough for me. Perhaps their new ones are but I've always been a bit disappointed with their sharpness.

I'd like to find a camcorder with a mic-in jack that can also be used as a webcam. That would be the best of both worlds and one less gadget I'd have to buy & justify to my wife. :-)

Scott Skibell
SkillCasting.com
MacScreencasting.com
 6/16/2010 6:30 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

I have the Logitech VisionPro as well and my concern is that it washes out or otherwise only does 15fps instead of 30fps.
If you do a forum search for aGent V5, you'll find there's someone who ran tests with it and ScreenFlow.

The challenge you'll find is that DV firewire cameras are on the decline and there aren't many camcorders that have live USB out. The very few I've heard of apparently aren't Mac compatible.

CraigS

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016