MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016

Telestream Community Forum
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Does ScreenFlow have a temporary file folder?
Topic Summary: One of my recordings was lost when trying to close/save it...
Created On: 4/13/2010 4:14 PM
Status Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 4/13/2010 4:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
IanC

I'm using ScreenFlow version 1.5.4 on my iMac 2GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM, 500GB HD.

I was recording an important Skype conversation for my business with ScreenFlow to capture the audio and video of the Skype call (since I prefer to use Screenflow rather than Skype's own Hot Recorder). I've done this same procedure many times without any problems.

I clicked the ScreenFlow "Record" button and made the Skype call of about 60 minutes. After the Skype call I went to quit the ScreenFlow recording in order to edit it but the keyboard shortcut would not quit the recording.

I tried quitting the recording from the ScreenFlow Menu Bar icon but it too would still not quit. The "Quit Recording" option was not ghosted but did nothing when I went to quit (and yes, the black dot inside the camera icon in the Menu Bar was there, so I know it was indeed still recording).

I also tried to save the recording but the Save and Save As options from the ScreenFlow menu are ghosted out when a recording is taking place.

In short, I tried every method to quit the recording but the app would not allow me to do so. I even tried to start a new recording and got the message "You need to quit the current recording before opening a new one" but as I mentioned above, I was not able to quit the current recording in any way.

After two hours of letting SF record while I was trying to diagnose this issue (and running a Time Machine Backup while SF was still running), I finally quit the application and relaunched. it.

Unfortunately I have not been able to locate that same "lost" recording. It's nowhere on my hard drive that I can see and it does not appear in the "Open Recent" options from the ScreenFlow File menu. Does ScreenFlow have a temporary file storage that my file might be located in? I really do not want to lose the recording of that Skype call.

Does anyone know why this issue happened and what to do if it happens again? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks in advance.

Ian
 4/13/2010 6:37 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

The .scc file sometimes remains in the root directory of the scratch disk designated in preferences (usually your boot drive unless you've changed it) but ScreenFlow often deletes it if the project quits before being saved. This has been improved greatly though in ScreenFlow 2.1 where there's less risk of running into what you've experienced. There had been a few issues which would result in the bug you've experienced.

-------------------------
CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
 1/24/2011 8:21 PM

Author Icon
MichaelMCCarter

I just recorded an hour long webinar that included 'talk back' question and answer (i.e. not something I can replicate or re-record), and I saved and closed the ScreenFlow. The file was saved to an external drive. I then pulled the cable out so I could plug the drive into a colleagues' Mac so she could do the editing and exporting. (Ironically, this was an attempt to be more efficient with my time, and to delegate the post-production process!!) Sadly, I forgot to properly eject the disk in Finder. When we go to open the file (on either Mac) it cannot be opened and the file size is '--'. The error says, 'ScreenFlow was unable to find the document data file' etc. Why is it, when I saved and closed the file (but did not Quit ScreenFlow and did not eject the disk), that the 'Saved' file is not actually 'Saved' anywhere?? This is a major disappointment, both to us and to our clients who rely on the recordings on our sessions for review, as part of a course we are delivering online. Ugh.

Michael 'MC' Carter
<br>Practice Paradox
<br>Helping accounting firms grow Clientshareâ„¢
 1/24/2011 9:15 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Right click on the project file and see if the .scc is in there.
Not ejecting a disk properly can do nasty things.
You might want to run a Disk Repair utility on the disk.

CraigS
 2/17/2013 2:56 PM

Author Icon
cpgcpg9

Question: When I exited screenflow, I accidentally said no to the do you want to save question! I then turned off my computer (Mac). I looked at the other discussions and tried a few things. I looked up all my scc files and they were either empty or ones that I had named and saved. I downloaded easyfind and found some dat files which I saved to my desktop and renamed scc but they were empty. Thanks for any help you can offer. We have a Mac OS 10.7.3 and screenflow 4. Not sure about scratch disk settings.
 2/18/2013 10:49 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

It would be a .scc file. If Easy Find isn't finding it and you're also looking for invisible files just in case then the system may have deleted the file.
Scratch disk setting is in ScreenFlow preferences. It normally defaults to the root directly of your system drive but Easy Find would see that.
BTW make sure you're using ScreenFlow 4.0.2 and I'd also personally recommend updating the OS to 10.7.5.

CraigS
 2/22/2013 2:41 PM

Author Icon
epicdemon99

Can someone help? i recorded a vid then my computer crashed (macbook) before i could save it and now i cant find it anywhere on my harddrive plz plz help
 2/22/2013 8:04 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Download the free EasyFind from the App Store. Search for a .scc file (that's what ScreenFlow records). It'll be where your scratch disk is pointed to in ScreenFlow Preferences (defaults to your startup disk). Given it's a temp file it can get removed though.

CraigS
 2/28/2013 8:28 PM

Author Icon
ajohnsonlaird

Craig: I've been using SF 4.0.2 to create several dozen screenflow files. All the projects have been saved, but I've noticed (under Mac OS X 10.6.8), the root of the RAID array that SF has been using as a temporary disk is cluttered with about 100 .scc files. From what I've been able to discern, it's OK to delete these.

Can you confirm that is the case, please?
Thanks
Andy.

Forensic Software Analyst
 3/1/2013 2:14 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

If the projects have been saved there should be a copy within the project.
I've seen circumstances where a recording is made and then not saved but the temp file remains.
You could start a project and import them to see if there's anything worthwhile. Otherwise you can remove them under normal circumstances.

CraigS

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016