MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016

Telestream Community Forum
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Problems with Webcam Record and/or Playback (Logitech C920) on Screenflow
Topic Summary:
Created On: 3/10/2016 5:35 PM
Status Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 3/10/2016 5:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
funkster

Recording and/or Playback of clips into or from Screenflow are not as good as I think they should be, using a Logitech C920 HD Pro webcam. Or if they are as good as they can be, can anyone recommend me a better camera?

I use the webcam with a Samson Go-mic simultaneously recorded, both being combined in the one file in Screenflow.

Problem I am having is that spoken dialogue is not really in sync with video, though they do roughly stay together. Also that the video clip is not really smooth; it's quite jerky, as if filming at very low frames-per-second, and the speaker's lips seem to pause for an instant or be in slow-motion sometimes. Video also lags very slightly, in general, behind audio, and I sometimes try to improve this this by detaching audio from clip and shifting it back a few ticks.

It's not as bad as maybe it sounds. Sometimes it is near perfect, other times quite bad.

I am assured the camera is mac-compatible, although there is no software provided that is as apparently as good as that provided for a PC. I do have some very basic software provided by Logitech, and some better called Webcam Settings.

I really don't have any problem recording with the camera in a basic way, but I feel sure this well-regarded camera can do much better, and perhaps there is something wrong. I have actually read that others have experienced audio-sync problems with this webcam, but for me the jerkiness is more the issue,.

Recording the audio is not a problem or issue .

However, if you think that sounds as good as it's gonna get with a webcam please say. In which case can anyone recommend another webcam or (budget) camera that can produce foolproof, great results without a problem, please can you let me know.

• Computer hardware including screen size : Imac 17", MacBook Air 13"
• OS version 10.10.5
• ScreenFlow version 5.06
• external devices recording from and how are they connected to computer Samson Go-mic, Logitech C920 HD Pro webcam, both USB 3
• Scratch disk setting in preferences if it's hard drive record or playback issue, Startup vol
• Free hard drive space: on external HD 100GB, on macbook scratch-disk 8 GB.
 3/10/2016 5:48 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

When recording from the C920 what Frame Size are you using? That may impact frame rate of the webcam recording.

-------------------------
CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
 3/10/2016 5:49 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

I have a C910 and these are the frame size options I use. You may want to try 1280x720 to see how it behaves.

CraigS
 3/10/2016 5:51 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

It's also possible that having only 8GB free space on the internal drive would have impact. RAM can be a factor as well. Consider that the OS and any use of virtually RAM will be trying to access the system drive as well.
Ideally you should have 20% free space on the system drive so programs, OS, virtual RAM can have access with good throughput.

CraigS
 4/7/2016 7:09 PM

Author Icon
funkster

I think my problem was that my Scratch-disk was not the Hard Disk that I am recording onto. Things seem to have improved after I changed that.

Also, on the particular day that I was doing the video-recording when I wrote post, I think maybe I was filming in too-low light. Although it was possible to film in that level of light, again things improved using more light.

My impression is that using the startup volume as scratch-disk and too little light were both creating too much "work" for the system in general, and this showed itself in sync issues between camera and computer. Does that sound plausible?

Anyway, I will try to learn from the previous experience and see if things improve.

4/7/2016 7:53 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Low light signals often have more noise which might have had impact.
Good to year you're on the right path now.

CraigS
 5/19/2016 9:29 PM

Author Icon
Spirulina Acade..

Hi CraigS, how can I start a new thread?

5/20/2016 3:32 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

CraigS

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016