MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016

Telestream Community Forum
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Best camera(-solution) for Screenflow?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 6/25/2014 5:26 AM
Status Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 6/25/2014 5:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pixondu

Hi!

I'm recording professional screencasts. The audio comes into the software with great quality. The screen is of course great. The webcam is not. I've tried the Logitech C920 and while its works the dynamic range is really bad causing white areas to blow out to easily.

I would love a way to record with a professional camera. I'll gladly spend $2000 if there is a way.

I like recording directly into Screenflow with parallell tracks. I like editing in Screenflow. I know that I can record separately and import the video files and then align audio-video-screen myself. But I was hoping there was a way where a professional camera could work like a webcam in Screenflow.

Anyone have any ideas or experience with solving this?

Best wishes / Mattias
 6/25/2014 2:25 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Although ScreenFlow doesn't "officially" support input devices, you may want to test a Blackmagic MiniRecorder (HDMI to Thunderbolt) with a good consumer camera.
I can probably give that a test myself and report back.

-------------------------
CraigS
Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
 6/25/2014 2:44 PM

Author Icon
pixondu

Craig!

If you would try that you would make me very happy (even happier if it works). We've found that it is so easy to teach people to use Screenflow. Therefor it would make sense to help them include small videos of themselves inside that vocal booths that we're using. But for that to work the cameras need to be better.

Please let me know what you find.

best wishes / Mattias
 6/25/2014 2:56 PM

Author Icon
pixondu

I just talked to my video producer at the office - I asked him if he had any cameras with HDMI out. His answer was "all of them" and started lining them up. From DSLR to big rigs.

So if this works with that card I've got all the options I could possibly want. * fingers crossed *
 6/25/2014 4:34 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

Testing
Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder HDMI to Thunderbolt with driver 10.1.1 set to HDMI.
Canon Vixia HF200 HDMI out.
2013 15" MBPr OSX 10.9.3
ScreenFlow 4.5

Works perfectly for me.

CraigS
 6/25/2014 4:59 PM

Author Icon
pixondu

Wonderful.

Did you set the Camera to a specific resolution and/or frame rate?

I will pick up a unit tomorrow and test (if I can find one in town). But the more I know the better when trying out cameras.

Best wishes / Mattias
 6/25/2014 5:01 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

1080i59.94 (I'm in NTSC country).
The MiniRecorder is compatible with many formats (but not progressive in some cases so DSLRs could be an issue).

CraigS
 6/25/2014 5:03 PM

Author Icon
pixondu

OK. So Screenflow will accept other frame rates than 30fps (which I gather is the default for it)?
 6/25/2014 9:11 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

I haven't tested PAL source but I think as long as the input device handles it ScreenFlow should.
I have a couple of cameras that can shoot PAL compatible frame rates so I can test that at some point as well.

CraigS
 5/20/2016 1:28 AM

Author Icon
DBusey

Hi Craig.
I've been tinkering with the BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder today with a Cannon Vixia HR R100.
Obviously it has HDMI out.

I get a live feed from this camera when I'm in the "New Recording" dialogue but once I actually record (then stop recording) there's no video track that shows up in Screenflow.
Not even a black screen, there's no video track what so ever. I checked Built In microphone so I get an audio track of me blabbering "Testing 1, 2, 3" but nada in terms of video.

I'm running Screenflow 5.0.6 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
Memory = 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Processor = 2 GHz Intel Core i7
OS = OSX El Capitan 10.11.4

The version of the BlackMagic video utility is 10.6.1.
The choices in their app are pretty dumbed down in v10.x. I've got it set for HDMI as the input source and have chosen no "Conversions".

In Screenflow, I've attepted to choose all of the options under resolution but none of them seems to want to record.

Odd that I can get a live "stream" (so to speak) as a preview when in the Configure Recording area but when it comes to actually capturing video, no dice.

Suggestions pretty please? What rocks can I look under to make this puppy work.

Thanks!
David in Oregon

Manager - Knowledge Services
SmartRG, Inc.
 5/20/2016 3:34 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

ScreenFlow 5 currently only works with webcams.
Please do make the feature request for camera support. I know there's significant user interest.
http://www.telestream.net/tele...upport.htm?contact=yes

CraigS
 5/23/2016 9:22 PM

Author Icon
Noteguy

Craig...we just learned "1080P" description has nothing to do with quality webcam image...e.g., Logitech webcam C930e has less "quality" than the PTZ web cam...latter being much more expensive...

We are using a Mac fully loaded Mac Book Pro, 2015, latest everything with an Apple Thunderbolt Display, 27-inch.

What is the best (common sense "best"), price no object, camera if we are making video's using ScreenFlow?

Thank you...from Al in California
 5/23/2016 9:28 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

1080p is only frame size and progressive (vs interlaced) frames. Quality generally involves lens and compression codec.
As per the above post though ScreenFlow only works with cameras that it can identify as webcams. Please do fill out the form and make the feature request.

CraigS
 5/23/2016 10:05 PM

Author Icon
Noteguy

Craig...just completed form with request and the above question to Telestream "camera support", as you suggested.

Re your response:...probably no lens rating out there...I will probably purchase the Logitech C930e (Shown on Logitech business section) which obviously has a much smaller lens than the PTZ...you are using the C920...any specific reason compared to the C930e?

Again, thanks...Al
 5/23/2016 11:46 PM

Author Icon
CraigS

I'm using C910 which is the older version of the C920. The C930e has some features that ScreenFlow doesn't use.

C930e
http://business.logitech.com/e...30e-business?crid=1252

C920
http://business.logitech.com/e...cam-business?crid=1252

There's a difference in field of view though
920 is 78 degrees
930e is 90 degrees (so it's wider) it may also have better mic.

CraigS

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

MOVING TO NEW FORUM link https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com This forum will become READ ONLY on Wednesday May 25, 2016